Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 fxstc.my bike seems to be running hot even in motion.i check oil level while motor just idling to see if motor had oil n to see if it was circulating,I have done this in the past but when I did its like the oil is boiling in the oil tank splashing up at me which has never happen before.im not sure what the problem is does anyone have any ideas what the problem maybe?maybe blow by or something like that.any help would be greatly appreciated.ty.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
You check the oil with the bike running? Never heard of that one.

It's an air cooled engine, it's going to run hot. Did it suddenly get hotter, or is this bike a new thing for you?

·
Registered
737 Posts
id give it an oil change...look for any metal in the oil and fill to the recommended amount of oil, start the bike up let it come up to temp then shut it off and check the oil level, if its high then it could be a couple things...an oil line plugged somewhere, possibly the oil pump is worn out

have you checked your spark plugs to see the color..? possibly a plugged carb and its alittle lean causing it to over heat, but this i would suspect should give other signs of poor running and possible hesitation/shuttering and possible hard starting

id check all this and let everyone know what u find out

·
Just Ride
3,035 Posts
Check your vent tube,make sure it's not plugged. How long have you had this bike? Do you have a gauge that reading hot? Oil circulating will bubble or foam. Got a oil cooler? Maybe time to get one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil has been changed.plug color looks good chocolate milk brown.i run the highest octane I can get 91.was built when u could still get 96 octane.been riding since I was a kid.bought my bike new so I'm the only owner.im very familiar with the bike.work on it myself doing only what I know how to do then letting good mechanics work on my bike mostly factory certified dealer mechanics.i do appreciate the imput.thank u.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts