Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pre 1993 Evolution motor, bottom breather.
The engine has stock cases and the numbers look to be untouched in the castings but don't follow the usual numbering system, any ideas?
*GDL2036740HD*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Evolution Engine numbers?

I have an EVOLUTION engine, stock cases that appear original and unmolested.
However, the engine number does not correspond with the HARLEY DAVIDSON numbering system..
From what I can see the number does not appear to have been removed or restamped, ANY IDEAS?
*GDL2036740HD*

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
My opinion:

It's either restamped, or a dealer/aftermarket stamped replacement.

HD VINs after 1981 (pre Evo) look like this:

1HD1AAK11BYO13478

They're also 17 digit VINs. The engine is matching and never has HD at the end. There's also never a DOT at the beginning, rather an open star.

There should also be a matching partial string in the right side cam chest, on the inner cam bearing wall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Evolution Engine Numbers

Thanks for the input, it is clearly not a factory number then.

However, as I have a clear paper trail of purchase I can register it with vehicle licensing.

Scott

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Thanks for the input, it is clearly not a factory number then.

However, as I have a clear paper trail of purchase I can register it with vehicle licensing.

Scott
If you have a clear paper trail of purchase, then where was the engine from? Is there record of an mso for the engine or as replacement cases?

You can have all the paper you want t, but if the engine vin doesn't match your frame VIN, you better have something to show Johnny Law to explain it, if you ever have it checked.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you have a clear paper trail of purchase, then where was the engine from? Is there record of an mso for the engine or as replacement cases?

You can have all the paper you want t, but if the engine vin doesn't match your frame VIN, you better have something to show Johnny Law to explain it, if you ever have it checked.
There is no law that says the Vehicle Identification Number and Engine Serial Number must match.

If the state actually does keep track of engine numbers, all they care about is that the engine number matches the number on the registration. Most states don`t care about the engine number, and it is not shown on the registration.

Japanese bikes vin and engine numbers have never matched.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Engine numbers may match on Harleys, but nothing says they must.

If the state keeps track of engine numbers (many don`t care one bit about engine numbers) all they care about is that the engine number matches the number on the registration.

Metric bikes vin and engine numbers have never matched.
Been a host of crackdowns at event in your area, of cops impounding bikes with numbers that don't jive.

Never a good idea, and there better be a paper trail or you can lose your bike.....

Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I need to learn to write another post instead of continually editing my post as my brain struggles with an idea....

Anyway, what I mean (I think) is that the engine number matching the frame number is not important, what is important is that the numbers match the registration. If the engine number is not on the registration, the police probably have no easy way of knowing if the engine is the original.

They may assume that the numbers match on a Harley, but there is no law that says they must match, and who knows, the factory could have put out machines without matching numbers.

Look at the way they were putting together bikes in `84 and `85, seemed like you needed two or three parts manuals to keep track, and that was just the clutch and transmission stuff...

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I need to learn to write another post instead of continually editing my post as my brain struggles with an idea....

Anyway, what I mean (I think) is that the engine number matching the frame number is not important, what is important is that the numbers match the registration. If the engine number is not on the registration, the police probably have no easy way of knowing if the engine is the original.

They may assume that the numbers match on a Harley, but there is no law that says they must match, and who knows, the factory could have put out machines without matching numbers.

Look at the way they were putting together bikes in `84 and `85, seemed like you needed two or three parts manuals to keep track, and that was just the clutch and transmission stuff...
As much as I agree.....(Factually, you ARE right) tell that to Officer New-Guy that only knows the engine and frame are supposed to match from 1970 to present day.

There inlies the issue. I've seen it play out.

I agree whole heartedly that the engine not matching means nothing, and can very easily be explainable with an MSO or a bill of sale from a used engine you bought to replace a wheezed one, but who carries that stuff around with them?

In this case, I'm under the impression the engine was replaced, or at a minimum, the cases. Doesn't mean it's stolen, illegal or anything other than just not original from the assembly line. Not on a 1980+ model year bike.

I understand what you're saying Dan and I agree. However, at the "buying stage" of a bike, THIS is the time to sort these things out, and not after you own it, and have troubles at the DMV trying to tell Mr. CLownshoes where parts came from or why they don;t "text book" match, the way they are supposed to. :thumbsup

·
Registered
37,514 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi ,New here and new to HD, hope someone can help, Have a frame 1HD1BRL11PY000466 with Engine BMY3066792 , Can anybody give me info on This, Much appreciated in Advance

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
fxr/1340/ midyear/ heavyweight/ 1993/ york/ seq. number. fx/softail, then I lose proper sequence. Is there a character between BM - Y?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts