Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I don't want open a thread that may or may not get off track....(as they sometimes do).
To the issue: When I was searching out my first Harley and had decided it was going to be a dyna wg. I did not really research a lot of info on the early wg' motors evo's. As it tuned out mine is a 88 twin cam which is fine. But I have heard that those early evo motors get much praise here on the forum. The only real concerns I learned to watch on the twin cam are the cam chain tensioner issue. Did the evo's have a similar issue, or did they have their own?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Every motor has it's own set of issues. The longer the family lived, the less issues. The last few years of EVO's are pretty much bullet proof. I am pretty jazzed about my experiences with my twinkie. Changing the Cam Chain Tensioners soon.

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
The last few years of EVO's are pretty much bullet proof.
:nod I like the top end breathing EVOs, and the bottom end breathing EVOs.
I like TwinCams,
I like ShovelHeads,
I like KnuckleHeads,
I like PanHeads.....

In no particular order :D

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Did the evo's have a similar issue, or did they have their own?
No cam chains on the EVO, so they wouldn't have a similar issue.

About the only thing that comes to mind is the crank case breather on the bottom end breathing early EVOs. It was made of plastic and was prone to scoring, and gear teeth breaking off. S&S made a couple different fixes for the breather.

·
Registered
78 Posts
HD got the twin cam tensioner issues corrected in 2007, so if yours is older than that get it updated. Not all the early twin cams failed but when they did, they failed spectacularly.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Now I don't want open a thread that may or may not get off track....(as they sometimes do).
To the issue: When I was searching out my first Harley and had decided it was going to be a dyna wg. I did not really research a lot of info on the early wg' motors evo's. As it tuned out mine is a 88 twin cam which is fine. But I have heard that those early evo motors get much praise here on the forum. The only real concerns I learned to watch on the twin cam are the cam chain tensioner issue. Did the evo's have a similar issue, or did they have their own?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No chains inside an Evo.
Gear/gear in their cam chest.
Lifters need to be eyeball'ed about every 25,000 miles in the Evo, and the inner cam bearing needs to be changed out to a Torrington full needle, but shy of that they'll go well over 100,000 and then some.
The Evo cranks did not slip/sissor either.
Scott

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Not to mention, They sound like a big block when they're cam'd right ..:know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts