Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
New to the forum, though have been lurking several years. Would like your opinion on this. Purchased 2018 "Oil Cooled" Ultra, new. All services done as required by dealers with the exception of the last one I did myself at exactly 15K. Mobil 1 20-50 all three holes (as I had done for years with my 2002).

Recently I have been noticing a faint oil smell on deceleration. At first I thought it must be other vehicleso_O until today. When I checked my oil and found it about 1 full quart low. This after only 600 miles since my last oil change. To me, sounds like rings. No other issues or noises, runs perfect. Any others with similar experience?
Thanks in advance,
Olmoose.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,102 Posts
Do you have any warranty left? If so I would bring it in and have them check and at least document.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
23,096 Posts
Burning oil smell. A saturated AC element will drip down onto a hot exhaust and burn off. A portion of oil consumption occurs thru the head breathers as a fine oil mist which eventually saturates the AC element.

The MoCo states that it's acceptable for the engine to consume 1 qt. of oil per 1000 miles of operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys,
Air Filter is new so not likely culprit. I have reached out to my dealer as to warranty validation or as mentioned above, noted for future claim (unlikely to be accepted I suspect). No return responses as yet. Its kind of funny that the Mo Co feels 1000 miles per quart is acceptable. I believe this specification applies to virtually all motorized vehicles, regardless of sump capacity. Its kind of like "your milage may very" fine print.

Been riding 55+ years and this only is my second Harley. I love them,can't imagine anything else, but my last one swallowed the chain tensioner at 23K and required a total rebuild. Now this one at 15K burning enough oil "to smell" will be my last if I cannot resolve this.

To bad, I know the Mo Co is in trouble with demographics and virus affects, but they need to do better (much) to survive.

I will update if appropriate, for all to see.
Olmoose

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys,
Air Filter is new so not likely culprit. I have reached out to my dealer as to warranty validation or as mentioned above, noted for future claim (unlikely to be accepted I suspect). No return responses as yet. Its kind of funny that the Mo Co feels 1000 miles per quart is acceptable. I believe this specification applies to virtually all motorized vehicles, regardless of sump capacity. Its kind of like "your milage may very" fine print.

Been riding 55+ years and this only is my second Harley. I love them,can't imagine anything else, but my last one swallowed the chain tensioner at 23K and required a total rebuild. Now this one at 15K burning enough oil "to smell" will be my last if I cannot resolve this.

To bad, I know the Mo Co is in trouble with demographics and virus affects, but they need to do better (much) to survive.

I will update if appropriate, for all to see.
Olmoose
Update; Credit where credit due. My warranty is valid until July. Dealer noted my file and I have agreed to monitor and report back. seems fair to me.
Olmoose.

·
Retired citizen
23,096 Posts
H-D dealerships can only do what the MoCo decides with warranty. Oil consumption IMO is a tough one, difficult for the dealer service dept. to verify. All warranty repairs require verification.

The 1 qt. per 1000 mile oil consumption rate that I referenced is noted in previous H-D service bulletins. It has a lot to do with the head breathers on Harley engines.

Pre head breather Harleys, crankcase breathers (pre Shovels and early EVOs) just polluted the ground under the bike when parked. Hence the call out for Harleys marking their parking spot !

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
If its burning that much oil doubt it would pass smog emission's if they start testing. Plugs look ok ?

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, have inspected plugs or run a compression check. We don't test in TN (yet, god forbid) but no doubt you would be right. Was really trying to get a feel if this may be more common than expected.
Thanks Billy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
you stated you can smell oil on decel, do you notice a puff of blue smoke when firing a cold motor after sitting for awhile?

typically oil on decel is valve seals

oil on accel is rings

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 17RG has smelled and used oil from day one! Moco was no help. Zippers has a video out doing a 124 kit, they tear apart a stock 107, and show all the oil deposits through out the top end. They lean toward the HD 2mm oil ring not sealing properly. They’re kit uses 3mm oil control rings. I emailed S&S regarding a 124 kit and they also use a 3mm oil control ring in the 124 kit. My bike has the Red shift bolt in cam with the new oil pump, runs great but all the blow by it seeps oil out of the dip stick if I pound on it. Feuling recommends regular oil for M8 to help this problem. I plan on the Fuel Moto 124 this winter, for now I just add oil, a lot of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts