Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Electra injected. The oil coming out of the air cleaner is so excessive it gets all over the side of the bike within 20 or 30 miles. a lot of oil. The oil level is half way between add & full on the dipstick. Replaced all rocker gaskets, breather elements, umbrella valves, pushrod o rings, still the same. The spark plugs are not oily, the bike does not smoke out the exhaust. Need some advise as to what would be causing this, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Retired citizen
24,521 Posts
You failed to mention how many miles are on your bike and what service work has been done that you know of. Particularly if the cam chain tensioners and oil pump have been serviced yet.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has 45000 miles. It sat for 3 years before I got it. I had to replace the fuel pump, filter, fuel hoses inside the tank and seal kit for the induction module. I also changed all the fluids. I don't think the chain tensioners or oil pump have been serviced. Could that cause the oil to come out through the air cleaner?

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
You can put a bypass air filter kit on it. Route the way you want. To the ground or catch can. The kit will replace the stock spacers at air cleaner with spacers with a nipple to connect to a hose.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,344 Posts
ya overfilled the oil tank.
This is the number 1 cause of oil coming through breather system.

Many people just dump in the listed capacity, which is usually too much. Other people will fill it to halfway between the marks when cold which is also too much. You have to check the oil level when it's warmed up to operating temperature. It should be halfway between those marks when the engine is hot.

If you did check the oil levels correctly, then I would start looking into what these other guys are saying, because beyond that, I don't know much about twin cams.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
You failed to mention how many miles are on your bike and what service work has been done that you know of. Particularly if the cam chain tensioners and oil pump have been serviced yet.
Not to highjack or anything, but since I have a Twin-Cam engine I wanted to know how the cam chain tensioners relate to oil blow-by like the OP is describing. I value y'alls knowledge about these things.

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
ya overfilled the oil tank.
Not to highjack or anything, but since I have a Twin-Cam engine I wanted to know how the cam chain tensioners relate to oil blow-by like the OP is describing. I value y'alls knowledge about these things.
smidty is warning him that if bike has a bunch of miles on the early spring loaded cam tensioners. if they have never been checked they should be and right away at mid century mileage.many failures before that. and sounds like schmidty knows something we sure don't about that vintage of oil pumps. schmidty has saved a bunch of us from expensive and or catastophic failures than all the rest of us combined. he is difinitely the man.:)

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
I'm at 22K miles. When should I check that stuff? It's a 2014 103B engine.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
737 Posts
You can put a bypass air filter kit on it. Route the way you want. To the ground or catch can. The kit will replace the stock spacers at air cleaner with spacers with a nipple to connect to a hose.
Seen alot of posts on breather catch can things, respectfully seem like a real PIA, get the need you want enginen to breathe more air. Just don't get why anyone would do it if engine running normal. I run stock air filter setup. Curious to know.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,344 Posts
Seen alot of posts on breather catch can things, respectfully seem like a real PIA, get the need you want enginen to breathe more air. Just don't get why anyone would do it if engine running normal. I run stock air filter setup. Curious to know.
You've asked this every time it's come up and been told why every time it comes up, please stop *** asking, you're not gonna get a different answer.

External breathing is not necessary and won't make much difference on a stock or near stock engine, and it won't solve any breather issues. The engine doesn't "breath more" with a breather being external. The only thing an external breather does is keep hot, oily air out of the intake, which can mean a cleaner running engine, and not dirty up an air filter with oil, and allow for cooler air intake, which is better for worked engines since they already run hotter.

A stock engine that pukes oil through the breathers has a problem somehow like bad piston rings that lets too much air in the case, a clogged breather system, bad umbrella valves, etc.

Some worked engines will puke oil at highway speed simply because the breather systems weren't designed for the power of the engine. An engine that pukes oil in such a case will always puke oil regardless of external breather or not, it won't fix an oil puking scenario, but at least it will keep loads of oil out of the intake if it does puke. You might think they're a pain, but they're not, and putting one on doesn't cause oil to puke, not ever. Again, external breathers will not cause an engine to puke oil from the breather system.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
You've asked this every time it's come up and been told why every time it comes up, please stop *** asking, you're not gonna get a different answer.

External breathing is not necessary and won't make much difference on a stock or near stock engine, and it won't solve any breather issues. The engine doesn't "breath more" with a breather being external. The only thing an external breather does is keep hot, oily air out of the intake, which can mean a cleaner running engine, and not dirty up an air filter with oil, and allow for cooler air intake, which is better for worked engines since they already run hotter.

A stock engine that pukes oil through the breathers has a problem somehow like bad piston rings that lets too much air in the case, a clogged breather system, bad umbrella valves, etc.

Some worked engines will puke oil at highway speed simply because the breather systems weren't designed for the power of the engine. An engine that pukes oil in such a case will always puke oil regardless of external breather or not, it won't fix an oil puking scenario, but at least it will keep loads of oil out of the intake if it does puke. You might think they're a pain, but they're not, and putting one on doesn't cause oil to puke, not ever. Again, external breathers will not cause an engine to puke oil from the breather system.
It's so nice not having an oily air filter. I always hated that crap. Some folks swear that they can 'feel' more power as well, but we know how that goes. ;)

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
Your engine has the hydraulic tensioners and roller chain that greatly reduces wear. I inspected my 2007 at 30k miles and they were only scuffed in.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
2010 Road-King.
61 Posts
not a breather hose. just a crankcase vent. on downward travel of piston it causes crankcase pressure and epa doesn't want oil vapor in atmosphere

·
Retired citizen
24,521 Posts
The reason I questioned the OP is that servicing the tensioners is a procedure that also involves servicing the cam support plate and the oil pump. The cam support plate has a relief valve that can hang up, the oil pump has gear rotor plates that can wear, pump o-rings that leak over time and miles, all can affect oil pressure. A worn oil pump can cause the crankcase to partially sump which causes excess case pressure in turn pushing excess oil thru the breathers. Remember what happens with EVOs that sump, oil pumps out of the case breather hose all over the floor !

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
The reason I questioned the OP is that servicing the tensioners is a procedure that also involves servicing the cam support plate and the oil pump. The cam support plate has a relief valve that can hang up, the oil pump has gear rotor plates that can wear, pump o-rings that leak over time and miles, all can affect oil pressure. A worn oil pump can cause the crankcase to partially sump which causes excess case pressure in turn pushing excess oil thru the breathers. Remember what happens with EVOs that sump, oil pumps out of the case breather hose all over the floor !
That makes total sense now since you have explained it that way. I'm thinking of looking inside my cam chest if for no other reason than to see if everything looks 'normal'. I better get reading up on what to look for in case something is a miss.

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
I'm at 22K miles. When should I check that stuff? It's a 2014 103B engine.
i changed chain tensioners, cam bearings, lifters and zippers spring in oil pump by pass valve at 70 thousand. i think tensioners would have made it to 100,000 miles(hydraulic) on late models. my lifters were really getting noisy by 70,000. i think i would pop of the cam chest cover and check them at 70,000 though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts