Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96flhtc with 175k on it. the carb butterfly pivet point is warn out and leaking air so I bought a new carb on ebay from an 05. It this an OK exchange? The new carb is running extremely rich even though I have turned in the needle valve adj until it has idle issues.
Is this because the 05 is an 88 engine and mine is an 80. I now get a backfire out the exhaust a few seconds after I shut it down almost every time.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I have a 96flhtc with 175k on it. the carb butterfly pivet point is warn out and leaking air so I bought a new carb on ebay from an 05. It this an OK exchange? The new carb is running extremely rich even though I have turned in the needle valve adj until it has idle issues.
Is this because the 05 is an 88 engine and mine is an 80. I now get a backfire out the exhaust a few seconds after I shut it down almost every time.

Has the a/f needle been uncovered on the 05 carb?

Have you tried rejetting to a smaller Pilot (low speed) jet?

I believe an 88cid carb is going to have a 47 pilot where as you only need a 45, due to less cubes and fuel need. Not sure if your main jet is gonna be wrong too, but I'd imagine about a 175-180 or so.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4356

Check out my thread on that, (sticky) if you need help, or you can PM me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has the a/f needle been uncovered on the 05 carb?
Yes

Have you tried rejetting to a smaller Pilot (low speed) jet? No, I will need to get to this this weekend

I believe an 88cid carb is going to have a 47 pilot where as you only need a 45, due to less cubes and fuel need. Not sure if your main jet is gonna be wrong too, but I'd imagine about a 175-180 or so.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4356

Check out my thread on that, (sticky) if you need help, or you can PM me.
I will get into this tomorrow. I did read your link

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I believe you're just going to see larger jets for fuel you don;t need. Let us know how it works out.

FYI: You can drop the bowl and swap jets WITHOUT removing the carb, or replacing the bowl O-ring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
long late reply

After getting into this found lots of wornout things in the engine. Leaking valves, leaking intake, bad float adjustment, many many worn parts beyond tolerance.
Had the local dealer go thru it and got a bum deal from them. ran worse afterwards and leaked transmission fluid. ended up putting a S&S T111 in it. could not be happier. Now getting close to 50mpg for highway driving. Still have the engine sitting in a box in the garage. I have rebuilt it myself from the ground up. but its only 80ci so It will sit for a while. Plan to watch out for a new frame and make a bar hopper for short rides.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
After getting into this found lots of wornout things in the engine. Leaking valves, leaking intake, bad float adjustment, many many worn parts beyond tolerance.
Had the local dealer go thru it and got a bum deal from them. ran worse afterwards and leaked transmission fluid. ended up putting a S&S T111 in it. could not be happier. Now getting close to 50mpg for highway driving. Still have the engine sitting in a box in the garage. I have rebuilt it myself from the ground up. but its only 80ci so It will sit for a while. Plan to watch out for a new frame and make a bar hopper for short rides.
Oh man......OUCH!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am having starting problems whenever the weather gets cold. Very hard to start. I have 100,000 on my 95 FLHTC with the Motor Trike kit installed after a Harley reman done at 77,000 miles. My motor always had this cold weather starting problem. With a lot of miles and the extra weight I am interested in changing my factory (Keion "sp") carb that has the screaming Eagle slide kit installed at 45,000. Any recommendations. My mileage is about 35 mpg, but "she has grunt", very good get up and go.

·
Retired citizen
24,103 Posts
I'm thinking you need to find a good mech that knows Kehin CV carbs and have him rework it for ya . Nothing wrong with that carb that can't be fixed unless it's worn out . The mech will tell ya if it's worn out or not .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts