Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByMO Free1415485083.327124.jpg

Went to mall today with son. On the way back I heard some rattling. Looked down at a stoplight to see one missing exhaust bolt and another spinning around. Took to the dealer where I bought it Jan 2012. Two of the bolts have sheared off and broke inside the transmission housing. I'm hoping this is covered under my extended warranty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
View attachment 281538

Went to mall today with son. On the way back I heard some rattling. Looked down at a stoplight to see one missing exhaust bolt and another spinning around. Took to the dealer where I bought it Jan 2012. Two of the bolts have sheared off and broke inside the transmission housing. I'm hoping this is covered under my extended warranty.

OUCH :eek

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
Are you talking about the exhaust hanger bolts below the trans cover ?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you talking about the exhaust hanger bolts below the trans cover ?

Check out my picture above. The bolt immediately to the right of the missing bolt has been sheared off and the bolt below it on the exhaust hanger. The extended warranty people wanted two quotes from the dealer: one to drill out both bolts and one to replace the cover?&or pull transmission? I'm not sure. I have all original equipment and have not modified the exhaust in any way. I also only have 4,700 miles on bike. Dealer Waiting on ok from warranty people

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
My hunch is that it will be covered. You may have to advocate for yourself a little. Good luck. Let us know.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
With that low of mileage you should be OK since you aren't even at your 5k to check the torque on all your fasteners.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that the swing arm to the left of the missing bolt? It looks like that has been cut into also or am I looking at a reflection?

Yes it is and I'm hoping its a reflection. Bikes at the dealer. I'm supposed to find out tomorrow if it's covered under extended warranty. If it is I think it will have paid for itself. I may want to extend the extended warranty when this runs out in 2016.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My hunch is that it will be covered. You may have to advocate for yourself a little. Good luck. Let us know.

Bike covered under warranty. $50 deductible. Had to pull transmission. Would have been $1700. Thank guys for all the support.

So moral of the story, check for loose nuts. Two years from now this would not be covered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts