Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the exhaust flanges be pulled up flush with the cylinder heads after the nuts are properly torqued?

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Mine are not flush. There is a slight gap, maybe 1/8".

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Ditto.

--

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine are quite a bit more than 1/8" and put a wrench on one of the nuts and it turned real easy. May be why I'm getting a lot more decel pop because of leakage.........Nip, you say yours are 1/8", but are they suppose to fit up flush?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If you just recently reassembled the header pipe and replaced the gasket with a new gasket, you may need to run the engine up to warm everything up, then after cool-down, retorque the nuts. You also want to make sure that when you installed the gasket, that you got it properly seated into the exhaust port and that it wasn't cocked. If the flange looks uneven, the collar on the pipe might be hanging up on the edge of the exh. port gasket recess.

A little more than a 1/8 inch gap may be ok, but it needs to be even.

--

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's guy's, but I still don't have a clear understanding as to where the flanges should meet up with the head after torque. Flush or NOT at 100-120 in lbs torque.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
My experience is not flush... A small even gap... Make sure you completely got the old gaskets out as well.

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
Depends on the style of gasket used.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Maybe you'll have a chance to take a look at another bike for comparison.

--

·
Registered
12,940 Posts
Should the exhaust flanges be pulled up flush with the cylinder heads after the nuts are properly torqued?

Thanks for any replies
Do have a HD Manual for your bike?. It details installing and torque procedures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts