Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was trying to get Harley owners' opinions on which slip-ons sound the best on a Streetglide. I like the way my bike sounds but was looking for something down the road that might be a little bit louder, yet also nice and throaty like older Harleys. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. :thumb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine's staying stock for awhile, They say they sound better over time. I've had my share of load pipes and don't care for them any more. You may want to look at S&S. Willie

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
SFARSON ! THOSE SUPER T'S ARE STARTING TO GROW ON ME :thumb

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Mine's staying stock for awhile, They say they sound better over time. I've had my share of load pipes and don't care for them any more. You may want to look at S&S. Willie
Would concur with this as well, despite the Supertrapps on the RK. Have two close riding friends that have kept their H-D exhaust stock. The sound is nice. When Milwaukee went to the 96" engine and an improved / quieter tranny, it allowed the stock exhaust to be opened up some without running afoul of the EPA. A fine article on the changes here...http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061216/news_lz1dd16bold.html

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all

I appreciate all the feedback and will certainly take it under advisement. I probably will keep it stock for a while to see how it sounds over time. But something to keep in mind. Thanks again. Mike

:thumb

·
Registered
89 Posts
For those that might prefer black exhaust. Monday HD came out with black heat shields for the '09 Touring bikes. I already have black Screaming Eagle slip-ons and can't wait for mine to arrive. They came out Monday with a lot of black parts for the Touring bikes. I am watching in July for a 2010 Night Glide. All HD families of bikes have a dark side except the Touring family.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, the guy who sold me my bike has a Glide with Rush pipes and 2.5" baffles. It's loud! And has a nice, throaty sound to it as well. My question is, with baffles like that and the larger exhaust, would I need to do the TFI and air cleaner or does the sensor still compensate up to that size? I've heard not to go higher than 2" without doing the TFI and air cleaner. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not a big fan of slip-ons but my buddy has V&H monster ovals that sound pretty doggone good.
I'm running V&H bigshot duals on my 08 SG. I f--kin love 'em!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike, I just had Rinehart True duals installed on my '08 Road King. It is so nice, not to have that cross over pipe - it really cleans up the look of the bike and for me, I definitely feel better performance. For what its worth, I also had a K&N air cleaner installed too (RK-3930). I just got the bike back on Friday - took it out for a 250 mile ride today (Saturday) with a buddy of mine and my kids and it definitely felt much improved. Not that it matters all that much, but my gas mileage went up from an average of 45MPG to 50MPG (I filled up this morning and ran 250 miles on one tank when I filled up this evening I put 4.87 gallons back in the tank).

The bike sounds great, and performs just as great.

David

·
Retired Air Force
120 Posts
Mike, I just had Rinehart True duals installed on my '08 Road King. It is so nice, not to have that cross over pipe - it really cleans up the look of the bike and for me, I definitely feel better performance. For what its worth, I also had a K&N air cleaner installed too (RK-3930). I just got the bike back on Friday - took it out for a 250 mile ride today (Saturday) with a buddy of mine and my kids and it definitely felt much improved. Not that it matters all that much, but my gas mileage went up from an average of 45MPG to 50MPG (I filled up this morning and ran 250 miles on one tank when I filled up this evening I put 4.87 gallons back in the tank).

The bike sounds great, and performs just as great.

David
Did you remap?...if not, with the increased flow it maybe/probably running a bit lean....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did you remap?...if not, with the increased flow it maybe/probably running a bit lean....
My mechanic did - he's a 17 yr Harley Mechanic that went on his own about five years ago.

I had a friend take his RKC to him as well and got the same results.

I have to admit, I don't understand the remapping - but from reading in this forum know that it is important when you change exhaust you should do "that" :)

I will double check with him to make sure - but I do remember that in our conversation when I dropped the bike off with him.

david

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I have to admit, I don't understand the remapping -
Remapping is simple. Your ECU (Engine Control Unit) is pre-programmed with paramaters for air/fuel mixture, based on your engine's RPM, with inputs from the engine temp sensor and TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and a few other sensors.

If you change something on the bike, IE: Air Cleaner, which changes the "recipe" of mixed air or fuel that goes into the engine, you need to change the parameters of the ECU to make sure you don't run too lean or rich.

It's no more than reprogramming a small computer and telling it to add more/less fuel, and when to do it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts