Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Today has been a mess working on my bike. Nothing went smoothly. Removed stock exhaust, scratched up the fins. I'm installing VH Power Duals. I go to tighten down to the headers and it just keeps turning. Won't seem to snug up. I removed the old gaskets, put in the ones VH provides. I just don't know what to do or how far down to tighten. Appreciate any help. 2014 street glide.

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Are you trying to tighten the exhaust flange nuts?? Are the studs tight in the head, or are they spinning as well??

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you trying to tighten the exhaust flange nuts?? Are the studs tight in the head, or are they spinning as well??

Flange nuts. Can't even get them to the point with enough tension to get it to a proper torque spec.

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
Ditch the gaskets that came with the exhaust and install Harley OEM gaskets.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ditch the gaskets that came with the exhaust and install Harley OEM gaskets.

Picked some up. See how they will do. Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock gaskets seems to fit better, so that's done. Now ran into another problem with the power duals. Such a headache this pipe is!!!!!! Have to install torca clamp but there is no room...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Auto part Footwear Muffler Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
That aint right. You sure the pipe isn't supposed to ride higher and to the side of that sump pan?

Loosely assemble all parts of the exhaust, including the head flange, before tightening anything up.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, it is positioned correctly. When I place everything together without attaching, it lines up to the next bracket perfectly.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. It's way off

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Ok, stupid question, but do you have the correct head pipe front aNd rear?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, stupid question, but do you have the correct head pipe front aNd rear?

Yea. It's all one piece on the power duals

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
What it looks like is that the head pipes are rotated too close to the frame....

Loosen up the head flanges and see if you can rotate the head pipes away from the frame a little.

Mock up the crossover pipe to show how far you need to move the head pipes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What it looks like is that the head pipes are rotated too close to the frame....

Loosen up the head flanges and see if you can rotate the head pipes away from the frame a little.

I figured before I posted anything that I'd give that a try. However, loosening up the flanges moves the alignment of the bracket attached to the two transmission bolts. Sends it all out of whack. I think I'm going to have to call VH

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all the advice. Been a rough one with these pipes. Scratches, nicks, all the good stuff!I'm usually very handy.....This has me questioning...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where did you get them, and what is the pn?

#16849...fuelmoto

1 - 20 of 39 Posts