Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me? I accidentally melted a plastic bag on my exhaust pipe and am not sure how to get it off without hurting the chrome . Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Hey Robin,

When I get boot heels melted on my pipes I soak the marks with oven cleaner and let it sit. Overnight some times. That usually softens the boot material. I also had some luck with electrical cleaner. You might try that (on cold pipes) to see if it softens the plastic.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Try acetone with a light weight scrubber, like scotch guard works most of the time.
Bob, the acetone is good advice, but I’ve had the scotch pads scratch chrome. Fortunately it was on my son’s old Honda Shadow, Lol.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Use 4 ought steel wool instead of the Scotch Brite. I have never had it scratch chrome.
Colt.45

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,319 Posts
Harley has a product to remove melted heel marks tha I couldn’t get off with other methods. I have heard many favorable responses about 0000 steel wool as mentioned above but haven’t had to use it yet Good luck

·
Registered
803 Posts
Watch this video . . . The second part of the video shows how oven cleaner can be used to clean off the exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not sure about plastic, but when I get my boot black marks on the pipe I use a copper penny. Works great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use bon ami. Powder cleanser on boot marks.
I use a wet paper towel with the powder on my pipes . This product doesn’t scratch!

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you happen to be or know a re-loader, "Silver Canyon cartridge polishing cleaner" (The stuff used to re-fresh tumbler media) Works awesomely! I used just a dab on a cotton rag. It got every boot mark, tar mark, every mark off my pipes! I discovered this after i melted a boot sole on my pipe and tried it on a whim! Not a single scratch or mar. The pipes look new!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Use 4 ought steel wool instead of the Scotch Brite. I have never had it scratch chrome.
Colt.45
But it does scratch the chrome. It slowly dulls the chrome finish as you use it. I can show you the spot on my pipes. :crying

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
But it does scratch the chrome. It slowly dulls the chrome finish as you use it. I can show you the spot on my pipes. :crying
Before hearing about using oven cleaner I used 0000 steel wool and kerosene.
Never a problem.

Though I imagine the quality of the chrome would have some bearing.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Sir
Perhaps if you do it often and as 'Thunder' says if it is low quality chrome.I have done it on chrome pipes, chrome car bumpers etc. with never a problem.In fact you can use it on your auto windshield if need be with no ill effects.
Colt.45

·
Registered
139 Posts
Love the 0000 steel wool. I was a skeptic at first but now have bags of it on hand all the time. You outta see the chrome wheels on my Rebel right now. Blinding shine. Now with that being said, there is another product I used on my Bonneville that would even get the bluing off the header pipes as well. It's called Blue-Job. It's a powder you make a paste with and use elbow grease. Really good stuff. I haven't had to clean blued pipes in a few years but I still have some. Just throwing that out there in case that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waterless hand cleaner with NO gritty stuff and a BRASS wire brush will take off anything with no damage to chrome. Word !!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Here's another vote for 0000 steel wool. Not long after I got this bike I melted the leg of a cheap rain suit on the pipes and had a real mess. Nothing seemed to work until I mentioned my problem to a salesman at the Harley dealer. He whipped out a piece of 0000 steel wool from his desk drawer and had the problem fixed in five minutes. Been using it ever since and haven't noticed any dulling of the chrome.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Trust me guys, 4 0 steel wool will dull the chrome on Rinehart pipes. Blue Away will remove chrome from pipes (it's very abrasive). 4 0 steel wool with simi chrome will really clean up bare aluminum though.

Oven cleaner removes melted on boot soles with no abrasives.

However, if you insist 4 0 steel wool doesn't damage our chrome, carry on. :kiss

1 - 19 of 19 Posts