Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put some new Stock-look SE2 slip-ons on my VROD. I received a map for my Power Commander, and Adam and ******* installed it.

However, when I slow down now, I hear popping noises coming from my exhaust. It seems to happen in 1st and 2nd gear mostly. Is this normal? (******* - this is the same popping that you heard that night that we went riding)

·
Registered
26 Posts
my stock 07 vrscdx pops on decel but it not that loud do to factory muffler. and their known to be lean from the factory.:eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
try raising fuel values in the 0,2 and maybe even 5% throttle postions in the RPM ranges you are getting the popping. Write down or print you starting point and try raising 5% at a time. this worked for me, but mine is not one of them New fandangled water keweled motor sickles. I did test drive one once, loved it, would love to own one but my employer requires me to have a Valid drivers license, not one that is constantly under Suspenson!!!!. Tough enough to keep it with a air cooled bagger, V-Rod, no way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue w/ my stock .... well very mild modded (stage 1 ECM, screaming eagle air cleaner, and V&H pro-pipe HS) 03 FLSTFI. pops on decel w/ PC3r map M805-019....no popping without the PC3r attached

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Don't expect an answer kngfisher. This thread died in 2006.
Welcome to the most wonderful HD fan place around. Don't be shy. Introduce yourself. We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, too rich of a fuel mixture on the low RPM fuel calibration will make the exhaust pop when running a larger diameter baffle in muffler (generally 2 1/2 inches or larger or a larger collector pipe opening at the outlet. Timing even slightly retarded will also greatly contribute to this popping. Depending on the cam you run also has a effect on popping when decelerating. When your exhaust valve opens after cylinder fires there is a flame present at exhaust valve. Rich fuel mixture leaves unburnt raw exhaust gasses and larger exhaust opening allows more air to be pulled in exhaust during exhaust reversion (exhaust gasses are being pulled toward the exhaust valve) mix with more outside air. The additional oxygen promotes raw exhaust into igniting. By running a smaller diameter baffle your problem should be solved. But first check for a exhaust leak. A leak as small as a pin head at the cylinder head will make your exhaust pop when backing off the throttle at high RPM. I run a set of Hooker super flow mufflers on my 1340 without the baffle,it pop bad. I inserted 1 3/4 inch straight pipe in the muffler with no baffle. Guess what? No popping! And it produces a much better sound than that deep tug boat sound. Not to mention improved performance. And when I turned off my fuel optimizer with the large opening mufflers it didn't pop as bad when taking fuel mixture back to stock 15;1 from the 13.2:1fuel/air fuel mixture I set the fuel tuner at. Don't let no one ******* you,The richer your fuel mixture at low RPM's the more chances of a pop at deceleration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts