Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 08 1200 custom I put new pipes on it rush shortys I also installed a Xied 14 I think that's what it was called anyway they allow a little more fuel helps keep the motor a little cooler. Ok when I'm riding at a slow pace it's a little jerky but when you give throttle it's fine. Do you think I need to get a remap done? And I wonder what it costs

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
What do you mean by "a slow pace"? Sounds like maybe you are just lugging the engine.

Regardless, you should not need a re-map.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sportsters are notorious for surging in the zone where you might change gears, like 20 mph in 1st, or 28 mph in 2nd. This happens when you try to "cruise" at that speed. Seems most people are unable to get rid of it completely. If the XIED14 did not get rid of it, you probably won't benefit from remap. Like Schmidtys said, keep the revs up. I just continue to apply acceleration on to 3k rpms and then shift. Just play around with it, and before long you won't notice anything.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
One of the biggest mistakes people make is think a Sportster will run along at very low rpm's. The Sportster engine 1200 or 883, likes a little revving, and compared to the larger Harley motors sounds down right fast. If run at very low speeds you'll ruin the big end bearing pretty fast.

If you want a thumper, you'll need a different bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I thought it was kus it has a header back and no tune. Maybe its just the way these motors are. It seems like until you give at about 1/8th-1/4 throttle it wants to jump on me and the exhaust sounds choppy. Once I get about 1/3rd of the way up the rpm range its smooth as butter.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It's a combination of gearing and fairly high low speed torque. At very low rpm's each piston stroke is felt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The speed limit in my town is 25 in most places. I get the jerking to weather I'm in 1st or 2nd. 3rd just bigs down. I just get up to speed them let off till I have to give her a little more gas. They like to run. When forced to go slow they fight it. It's like a retired race horse turned into a trail horse. They will do it, but they get antsy when the see an opening to run!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts