Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who read my previous post may have noticed that I recently upgraded from a Dyna Wide Glide to a Road King Classic. Here's my predicament and I'm hoping those of you who already own a Road King can help me out. I was running straight pipes on my Wide Glide and they were VERY loud. My Road King has the factory pipes and (quite honestly) it purrs like a metric. I'm looking for recommendations on what type of exhaust setup I should run to get that DEEP, throaty Harley-Davidson sound, but not quite as loud as straight pipes. My bike is an 07 so I don't have a catalytic convertor to worry about. Any assistance would certainly be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
There's a BUNCH of slip-ons out there for the FLH bikes that sound great. I have Jackpots on mine, and I love them.

Rineharts sound awesome. I like Rush mufflers also.

Just hang out at anything that has a bunch of Harley's at it for more than 20 minutes and you'll hear a lot of pipes that you do and don't like.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a BUNCH of slip-ons out there for the FLH bikes that sound great. I have Jackpots on mine, and I love them.

Rineharts sound awesome. I like Rush mufflers also.

Just hang out at anything that has a bunch of Harley's at it for more than 20 minutes and you'll hear a lot of pipes that you do and don't like.
Do I need any type of special fuel delivery system (FuelPak, Stage 1, etc.) and breather when replacing the existing slip-ons with new ones?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Do I need any type of special fuel delivery system (FuelPak, Stage 1, etc.) and breather when replacing the existing slip-ons with new ones?
Slip-ons by themselves are fine with no other modifications.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure on your budget?

Cheap$ but not quality---Full Boar has great, deep throaty HD sound and only $200-$250 a set compared to the big names.

Not cheap-----But my choice would be Sampson as they to have not too load but definately get noticed with deep throaty HD sound.

As already said before, there are many out there so good luck in your search

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am I correct in assuming that:

If I purchase a set of new Vance & Hines slip-on mufflers/pipes....I do NOT need to add some type of fuel management system (i.e. FuelPak)? But....if I decide to remove the baffles I should not only add a fuel mgmt. system but I should also add a high flow air filter?

All input is appreciated.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
If it's slip on then there is no need. If you DE cat the headers then you need to add a controller, but to get the most bang for the buck do exhaust, intake, and a controller.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone who provided their input. I opted for the Vance & Hines slash cut slip-ons with a FuelPak fuel management system. I'll follow up with a review as soon as I have a chance to install them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had Reinhardt slip ons on my FLHR and they sounded great but are NO WERE near the sound of straight pipes. If you did a full stage one it would be sound much better. This is the old ride.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Cruiser

1 - 20 of 21 Posts