Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does changing out the exhaust automatically require some sort of tuning change as well? I saw these mufflers and they look to be a good deal, can even be tuned (sound) by changing baffles. Does louder automatically equate to less back pressure and the need for a computer tuning change? I have a '12 FLHRC. I am a pretty good neighbor, but I would like a little more rumble than the stock exhaust gives me.

http://www.americancustom.com/products/slip-on-mufflers/the-bomber-1

thanks

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,511 Posts
If the only thing you are doing is changing the exhaust then you should not need a re-tune. If you are changing to a high flow air cleaner (or already have changed) then you will need a tuner of some sort.

If you will use the search function in the upper left of the screen, you will find this topic discussed in detail by people far more knowledgeable than I am.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Well i have a 2013 flhtk. I put slip ons, stage one ac and xieds, that got jer nack to normal lean. Got the stage one download and its running where it should. Not the moco stock lean.
You gotta remember, the moco has to follow epa standarda and to do so they have to run the engines on the lean side of acceptable. Just pipes, id recommend the xieds, even a stock bike can be helped. Of you plan on mods later on, then id get a tuner asap. Required, no. Recommended, yup...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2,327 Posts
If the only thing you are doing is changing the exhaust then you should not need a re-tune. If you are changing to a high flow air cleaner (or already have changed) then you will need a tuner of some sort.

If you will use the search function in the upper left of the screen, you will find this topic discussed in detail by people far more knowledgeable than I am.
+1 to all above..

The search function in the top left of the screen is the google search, try the search in the black bar just above the Saddlemen advertisement. It will give you the hundreds of threads on this topic :nod

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, what 2010hdultra said. Give the mufflers a try and see what happens. If you get some backfiring or decel pop try some XIED or VIEDs. Karma -1 for the search function police.

·
IAFF local 845
1,909 Posts
I agree with the above posts Hempo. I think the consensus is slip-ons only and you're OK. Open the intake and it's time to add fuel. But even a completely stock bike will run better with added fuel. +1 on the needed, no, recommended yup.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some of the things I put in the search window that there WERE NO responses to.

I also posted the question in the exhaust section of the forum and asked here only after there were no responses after several days.

exhaust slip on advice
retune for exhaust change?
exhaust change
slip on exhaust
exhaust header change.

Please, feel free to tell me how I SHOULD have used the search function correctly.

thanks.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Here are some of the things I put in the search window that there WERE NO responses to.

I also posted the question in the exhaust section of the forum and asked here only after there were no responses after several days.

exhaust slip on advice
retune for exhaust change?
exhaust change
slip on exhaust
exhaust header change.

Please, feel free to tell me how I SHOULD have used the search function correctly.

thanks.
I moved this to the exhaust forum, but I see that your previous question was posted into an existing thread.....

A lot of times if I see that there is a new post in an existing thread that pertaining to a commonly covered topic, I (and I'm sure others as well) don't even bother clicking on it to read the new post.....

Probably why when you posted as a new post you got a response, and not your previous one.

Searching on "exhaust tune" yielded some useful results

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kainam. I didn't realize I had posted in an existing thread. Haven't gotten this forum thing down I guess. Also, when I put "exhaust tune" in the search window I get no results. Maybe I have something configured incorrectly?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AH HA !!!! Eureka !!

The problem was with Safari !! I opened the forum with Chrome (which I detest otherwise) and the search function works TOO well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts