Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,306 Posts
Exhaust temps are too varied, based on exhaust length, curves and exhaust velocity (directly effected by scavenging, ignition timing, curves in pipes, back pressure, ambient air temps and a/f ratio) to give a single number.

Exhaust gas temps (EGT) is generally measured closer to the exhaust port on the head, within 3-5 inches or so, and in the center, not the pipe temp, as different metals and their thicknesses transfer heat differently.

Pipe temps can (should) be 200-450* F, and EGTs can be in the 1000*-1100* ranges.

What is it you're looking for, or trying to do?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is it you're looking for said:
I made a custom baffle and wrapped the center of it with fiberglass stove tape that is rated at 1000 degrees. But after installation, I smelled something burning. Called the company to see if there was some coating on it that would initially burn away but no, there is non; so they say.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,306 Posts
I've used pipes with baffeling (fiberglass type) that smells for a few days after install.

Like with any packing, it'll have to be replaced from time to time, depending on RPM ranges and amount of restriction.

You won't see 1000* at the mufflers.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,948 Posts
I've used pipes with baffeling (fiberglass type) that smells for a few days after install.

Like with any packing, it'll have to be replaced from time to time, depending on RPM ranges and amount of restriction.

You won't see 1000* at the mufflers.
You don't HAVE to replace it
It will just get nice and loud without it
At least my SE 2s have as the packing has worn

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,306 Posts
You don't HAVE to replace it
It will just get nice and loud without it
At least my SE 2s have as the packing has worn
Agreed. Only if you want to maintain the original noise levels.

·
Premium Member
2005 deuce
1 Posts
Exhaust temps are too varied, based on exhaust length, curves and exhaust velocity (directly effected by scavenging, ignition timing, curves in pipes, back pressure, ambient air temps and a/f ratio) to give a single number.

Exhaust gas temps (EGT) is generally measured closer to the exhaust port on the head, within 3-5 inches or so, and in the center, not the pipe temp, as different metals and their thicknesses transfer heat differently.

Pipe temps can (should) be 200-450* F, and EGTs can be in the 1000*-1100* ranges.

What is it you're looking for, or trying to do?
Was thinking to use jb weld to put my o2 bungs in. Steel pipes stainless bungs. No dissimilar metal no rust. Jb is good to 700 deg. fahrenheit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts