Harley Davidson Forums banner

exhaust

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Tripleh 
#1 ·
Going to remove exhaust from WG, open back side of converter, clean it out then weld it up, install stage 1 air filter and have HD install stage 1 program. Has anyone done this? would like to hear the results. Thanks

#2 ·
Think your cats are in your mufflers.

#3 ·
I think Fritz is right. And if you're going to spend the money to do a "stage 1" filter and tune from HD, then why not spend a little more and do your exhaust the right way? Home cutting of stock exhaust will hardly ever produce good results.

-Rohan

#4 ·
The cat is located in the cross over area of the header pipe just before it goes into the mufflers. I just went through this with my 14 WG. I bought a decatted header pipe off of Ebay using Cycle Shack slash cut slipons and an SE AC. Did not like how it ran with the decatted header pipe. I lost a lot of low end. I tried to tune it out with mY PV2 tuner, using autotune, but could not get it to run right. However, I'm not a PV tuner expert by any means. I put the stock header pipe back on and runs great like it did before.

#6 ·
I don't know how the Cycle Shacks sound on a decatted exhaust but think they sound great on my 07. Excellent chrome, too. Liked them much better than the V&H I had on before. The old Screamin Eagle mufflers used to be made by CS. The best bang for the buck, IMO. Look around, check out Amazon too, you can get them for under $150.

#7 ·
Quote: "Thanks for the info Airman, wont cut cats, how does the cycle shack mufflers sound? Are they expensive? "

Actually, the Cycle Shacks sound pretty darn good. They sound better with the cat in than without. On the header pipe with no cat, they sounded a little harsh, or maybe on the tinny side. With the cat in it is more of a low moan, but when you crank it on, it gives a pretty healthy growling bark. The 103 sounds good through them. I am at work right now, so I do not have the invoice in front of me. But, I want to say I paid around $230 for the Cycle Shacks. I'm going to hang on to the catless header pipe because I will probably to a drop in cam next year after the warranty has expired. I may try that header after the cam install and then have it dyno tuned. It may sound better then.

#8 ·
Airman, are the cycle shack mufflers shorter than the stock ones, the picture on amazon look shorter. I ordered the ones that fit my 14 WG they called them 2.5, are they talking about the outside diameter or baffle size? Thanks ps. only cost 169.00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.