Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The city of West has been hammered by the explosion at a fertilizer plant.

Lady on TV says her house is knocked off it's foundation, she and her neighbors had their windows blown out,

3 miles from the plant. Yowie.

:what?

Fertilizer Explosion: Happened before... 1947

April 16, 1947: Ship Explosion Ignites 3-Day Rain of Fire and Death

1947: A cargo ship explodes at dockside in Texas City, Texas. The blast and the fires that follow
kill about 600 people and injure 3,500 more. Six decades later, it remains the deadliest explosion
and worst industrial disaster in U.S. history.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heard on the way home, based on what this genius is assuming happened in Boston

Senator Frank Lautenberg is proposing background checks to buy a pound of reloading powder.

Wonder what kinda checks he thinks a farmer buying 10 tons of fertilizer needs to go through?

Half-wit...

·
Noel
7,365 Posts
This is the week of the 20th anniversary of the Waco Siege

I'm hoping this is purely an accident and not another terrorist event, fertilizer & agricultural plants present explosion risks, a known and accepted danger.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Heard on the way home, based on what this genius is assuming happened in Boston

Senator Frank Lautenberg is proposing background checks to buy a pound of reloading powder.

Wonder what kinda checks he thinks a farmer buying 10 tons of fertilizer needs to go through?

Half-wit...

When I first saw the Boston bombing on the news, this was what immediately went through my head: "This is going to turn out to be blamed on some white Right Wing Radical and will somehow lead to restrictions on gunpowder." I hadn't heard what kind of bombs, etc, were used. This was a mere three hours after it happened and the thought went through my mind only a couple of seconds after merely reading the headline on Yahoo news.

I find it disgusting that this is how I now think.

·
Banned
853 Posts
Mongo- I used to get furious when I heard people put down this country or complain how "bad" it was/is in the U.S. Especially those who had never been out of this country and seen how some people live in other parts of the world. No running water, electricity, food. Dictators and tyrants controlling state run media etc etc etc.

I now find myself saying the very things that repulsed me. Why?
Because I believe my eyes. We are watching the destruction of the greatest country to ever exist. Dr. Benjamin Carson put it so simply in his speach about how to ruin and destroy a country. ie the EXACT things our government is doing. I'm an eternal optimist. Its all I ever heard growing up. But when I hear my 79 y.o. dad speak our speak it just validates what I wish was a mild paranoid view.
We are just believing what we are seeing. Hussein's mentors were all anti-American and the younger politicians are super lib hippies from the 60s. I don't know what else to say much less do.
We need a miracle and a hero or else we're done.
And I can't believe what I'm saying or thinking either. I feel helpless.
I thought id never see what I'm seeing.
I just don't know man, I just don't know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Mongo- I used to get furious when I heard people put down this country or complain how "bad" it was/is in the U.S. Especially those who had never been out of this country and seen how some people live in other parts of the world. No running water, electricity, food. Dictators and tyrants controlling state run media etc etc etc.

I now find myself saying the very things that repulsed me. Why?
Because I believe my eyes. We are watching the destruction of the greatest country to ever exist. Dr. Benjamin Carson put it so simply in his speach about how to ruin and destroy a country. ie the EXACT things our government is doing. I'm an eternal optimist. Its all I ever heard growing up. But when I hear my 79 y.o. dad speak our speak it just validates what I wish was a mild paranoid view.
We are just believing what we are seeing. Hussein's mentors were all anti-American and the younger politicians are super lib hippies from the 60s. I don't know what else to say much less do.
We need a miracle and a hero or else we're done.
And I can't believe what I'm saying or thinking either. I feel helpless.
I thought id never see what I'm seeing.
I just don't know man, I just don't know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm with you brother, I'm with you.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,007 Posts
There's been several grain elevator explosions in KS...

I think they're talking about banning assault wheat. :think

No, only if the elevators hold more than 30 bushels or have pistol grips. Perhaps they should have extensive background checks on wheat farmers and register their harvesters.

·
Noel
7,365 Posts
When me and the lady visited Kansas last summer, we saw the grain elevator, what a site!

·
Registered
36,947 Posts
And the BOLOs....

Be on the look out for a white male wearing a flannel jacket, carrying a loaf of bread....

·
Registered
36,947 Posts
Yep, wheat dust suspended in air, then some sort of spark to set it off.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dust explosion, any flammable dust, sugar, soap, coal, corn starch, sawdust could cause it,

if suspended in the air in sufficient density. I have worried about this for a long time,

after seeing it demonstrated as a new military weapon. Coal mine expolsions are of this sort.

Image search FAE, Fuel Air Explosion. How do you idenfify a pickup truck load of powdered sugar

flour, or corn starch as a weapon?

Thermobaric explosives rely on oxygen from the surrounding air, whereas most conventional explosives consist of a fuel-oxidizer premix (for instance, gunpowder contains 25% fuel and 75% oxidizer). Thus, on a weight-for-weight basis, they are significantly more energetic than normal condensed explosives. Their reliance on atmospheric oxygen makes them unsuitable for use underwater, at high altitude or in adverse weather. However, they have significant advantages when deployed inside confined environments, such as tunnels, caves, and bunkers.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,007 Posts
Nathan, I think the dust has to be confined in a closed space and achieve a certain density of suspension. Then a small spark is all it takes. I can imagine if it was as simple as blowing the grain dust out the back of a pickup truck, at least a few good booms a year would occur to keep the local police busy chasing hell raising teen aged dust bombers.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We don't want to talk about the way it could be done,

somebody will come around thinking we are dangerous

1 - 20 of 21 Posts