Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new to me 2012 FLHP with 3100 miles on it. I have factory warrantee unill Jan. 2014. I can purhase 3 additional years from the local dealer for $1800.00. I don't know at this time what all is included in the 3 year price.

Also my bike doesn't have cruise.control and I learned I can buy it from the dealer for $ 250.00. I just have to fish the wiring and make the connections myself.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on both of these possible plans for my scooter. Thanks.

Also if I put this in the wrong place I am sorry.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
warranty is like insurance only good if you need it I have used it hand to have the jugs new pistons rings and valve seals replace would have cost a lot also I got the tire rim road damage warranty have had 2 new rear tires put on for screws or nails in tire

·
God's Gift To Woman
1,418 Posts
I'm subscribing :

My 2011 hits 2 years old next month and I have to decide to get the x-tend warranty or not.

Anyone know if these $$ prices on warranty are negotiable?

If anyone here is a dealer or dealer rep feal free to p m me a " Poor Farmer" discounted price! :)

:cheers

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I purchased the extended warrantee. Also the tire, rim deal. Good piece of mind. I was able to get a couple hundred off the cost because the payment was just a little higher than I wanted. As for the cruise, I love that feature. Gives your right hand a break. I was on an old back road one early morning and road miles with no hands. Just shift your hips a little to steer.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Typically, I am not an advocate of extended warranties that require purchasing. I know some say that they don't like to gamble, but I see buying the warranty as the gamble. You are laying out the money up front and hoping it returns. I'd rather spend twice as much to a real mechanic for a real service than lose $1,500 on a warranty that I didn't use. My "peace of mind" is having my cash in my bank instead of theirs until it has to spent!! :)

Plus, I am able to do a lot of repair work myself, and in fact prefer to do it myself, so the exposure is less. Of course, there are things I wouldn't tackle, but that's just part of it.

Remember that those warranties are a for-profit endeavor. They are banking on taking in more cash than goes out. If it didn't make money, they wouldn't do it. I am an analyst by profession. I spend my work life examining pricing, processes and plans to see if they make financial sense for our organization. From that point of view they just don't feel right for me.

You WILL get them pushed on you by the dealerships because the commissions on them are really good.

But, there is a certain beauty in the H-D extended service plans because there are no mileage limitations. So, you just need to take a really hard assessment on how much you will ride the bike. IMO, I'd say the likelihood of you having any significant issue before the 25K-30K mark is pretty low. Yes, you'll find guys on here that had a bearing failure or this or that at 11K, but I just don't think that is super common. So, if you see yourself riding 7-8K per year or more, it may make sense. Just note, that 8K per year probably puts you in the top 10% of MC owners. The average is a lot lower than that.

As a frame of reference, I commute to work year-around, 65 miles round trip as many days as Midwest weather allows. (I am not SUPER hard core) Plus, the weekend pleasure riding, a planned trip or two with the Mrs., etc and just over 12K is the most I have ever put on a bike in a year. This year, it looks like I am on pace for about 9K-10K.

There is a guy that runs around town that I have run across a few times that has a 2012 RG Ultra that he has put 22K on and only has had it a year. He's obviously the PERFECT candidate for the ESP.

A lot of it has to do with your situation. Some guys borrow most of the money to buy the bike and don't have a lot of money in reserve. For them, buying the warranty and folding it into the note makes sense for them. They know they'll be able to keep the bike on the road. But, unless you are a fairly high mileage rider, if you have the ability to pay for any actual repair should you need to, you are more likely to come out ahead by not gambling up front.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . Anyone know if these $$ prices on warranty are negotiable? . . .
I have heard that the pricing varies a bit hear and there between dealerships, so it must be.

I also know that the commissions are pretty good on most all of the ESPs. So, there is fudge room there.

Although, you will typically have more room to "negotiate" if you buy them with the bike as they have more places to fudge the numbers somewhere else.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
And you could always choose to "split the difference". By that I mean purchase an ESP from a local Credit Union. When I took delivery of my RGC last November naturally the dealer wanted to sell me the HD ESP. I declined--at least for the time being. But...., a local Credit Union someone told me about also sells a 5-year ESP with a $50 deductible, same as HD, but the Credit Union ESP doesn't cover everything the HD plan does. But the Credit Union ESP is also less than half what the HD plan is and the Credit Union ESP covers all the major components and then some.

The way I see it, my biggest worry is the "major components" meaning engine, tranny, electronics, etc. So, if I need to spend some money for something outside of the major components I will just have to deal with it but I will sleep better at night knowing all the big stuff is covered--and I'm not paying the HD fee which I believe is over priced.

Just before my 2-year factory warranty expires I will make a decision. And as of right now I am leaning heavily towards the Credit Union plan.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I like the extended warranties..................Mainly due to the fact that my wife and I take a minimum of one two week trip cross country each year. So that extended warranty (tire/wheel included) is a nice bit of insurance and peace of mind.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
we were on a trip last year and 2 fellows used their extended warranty and were glad they had it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts