Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike : 2006 VRSCD 13,000 miles
2 year plan w/ wheel & tire option 1250.00 /50.00 dedutable 0 dedutable on wheell & tire(i can go up to 4yrs but 2 is MY only option right now)

only issues i've had was the master cylinder lids leaked, but they were replace under warranty twice.
i will be needing a clutch(covered under new warranty), 250 parts 150 labor. i will be needing the valve adjustment at or around 20,000(i'm gambling i'll ride more than 7k in 2yrs/warranty says its covered too) if it takes 4hrs at $90 = 360.00 not includinfg parts
thats over half the warranty already with just them 2 jobs and i know i'll need another clutch before the 2yrs is up because...... heres the big one I DRAG RACE THE BIKE probably twice a month on average sometimes more.

so i'm wondering is it worth the $1250 for the warranty or should i take my chances. i wouldn't even consider it with the economy with it like it is and I just went back to work recently, i have the money from my tax returns. if the bike broke i'd HAVE to use a CC to get parts and fix it myself or just let it sit and i couldn't do that.

the way i see it, i didn't have the money last week, and if i spend it, i won't miss it, because it will be like i never had it.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Clutches and valve adjustments are covered under warranty? I never saw a warranty that covered maintenence items....

I'm not big on warranties, but had I not spent the extra $$ on one for my truck, I'd be screwed.

If your warranty covers all that stuff, AND you drag race it and can manage not to let them find out, in the event of a claim, then it might be worth it.

A lot can happen in 2 years.......

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutches and valve adjustments are covered under warranty? I never saw a warranty that covered maintenence items....

I'm not big on warranties, but had I not spent the extra $$ on one for my truck, I'd be screwed.

If your warranty covers all that stuff, AND you drag race it and can manage not to let them find out, in the event of a claim, then it might be worth it.

A lot can happen in 2 years.......
thats excatly what i said and the lady told me that the only thing that wasn't covered was brake pads, oil changes and tire wear. i was floored when she said that! so shes sending me a brochure or some type of literature for the warranty so i can see it in print.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Sweeeet............. I'd drag race it too...!!! :D

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,255 Posts
Do you have options on your tires? Or do you have to use the Dunlops?

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have options on your tires? Or do you have to use the Dunlops?
don't know, but good question for me to ask. 'cause i run avons:thumb

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The way I look at it is if it were to your advantage and not theirs to have an extended warranty, you would have to ask them for it. They are always very eager to sell you on it which tells me it's to their advantage. Now this doesnt mean that you cant make out on the deal if you have major problems but it appears the odds are the dealer will make out and not you. In this case it may be different though with the info you provided.

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
The way I look at it is if it were to your advantage and not theirs to have an extended warranty, you would have to ask them for it. They are always very eager to sell you on it which tells me it's to their advantage.

Exactly.:mad:

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Just like the insurance industry where you bet that you are going to die and they bet that you are not.

They make their money on all the folks that never use it.

All it would take is one radio for an Ultra at $1,000 to cause you to change your position.

The question is situational. On what bike? How good a mechanic are you ? How close do you live to Dave? Will you have a job next year?

·
Registered
541 Posts
So long as your bike is within warranty, you can buy an extended warranty. So, if you didn't get it on the date of purchase, 1 year and 364 days later you can go in and buy the extended warranty. If your bike wasn't reliable those first two years, I'd get it. But, let the bike tell you what to do... not a saleswoman.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You could, also, simply give me the bike. That will give you the same peace of mind because your Karma will grow exponentially!

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,255 Posts
Can you big bore it under extended warranty?

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i could get whom ever it is repairing any damages to be creative when they write the estimate i could get ANYTHING i want. but thats being dishonest , and i would never do that:hidesbehind

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,255 Posts
if i could get whom ever it is repairing any damages to be creative when they write the estimate i could get ANYTHING i want. but thats being dishonest , and i would never do that:hidesbehind
:spit:

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I am going to say that I don't think so.

A friend of mine had a big bore and literally "trashed" his engine on the way back from Sturgis a couple of years ago. He did get a new engine under the warranty, but the dealer there (somewhere in Kansas I think) was only authorized by Harley to put a stock 88 in it.

Had it happened closer to home, the original installing dealer would have warranteed it for the additional work that they had done to it. No other dealer will honor that additional work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts