Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have / try ideas for a gallon of extra gas with them in cease of emergency?
Maybe a metal thermos bottle of some sort ?
I am going on a long trip and will be tacking back roads across America. (I hate the interstate).
Perhaps old Route 66, Not sure.
Thanx

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,967 Posts
1 gal gas can strapped on back?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
what bike do you have unless its sportster with peanut tank I think you could plan for gas every ware even hwy 50 though Nevada has gas the Alcan hwy in Canada had enough stops but you didn't want to pass up a station fill up even with 1/2 tank not sure there are many roads any more with more than a 100 miles between towns if you find a few that are good ride please post with pay at the pump its pretty easy even if town is closed

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are some pretty destitute places out in Montana and Nev.
I have a 94 road king...
thanx

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If one leaves the main road (which I do) the current gas tanks only carry I think 4.9 gal
That is not a lot of miles under my engine configuration.
Perhaps a 100 miles and thats hoping .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone have / try ideas for a gallon of extra gas with them in cease of emergency?
Maybe a metal thermos bottle of some sort ?
I am going on a long trip and will be tacking back roads across America. (I hate the interstate).
Perhaps old Route 66, Not sure.
Thanx
On trips like that, I use a couple of reda gas cans because they fit in the hard bags pretty well. I don't leave them in all the time just for trips like that. They do make everything in the bag smell like gas even though they say they don't..

Reda Innovations Official Website

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
a few cans of beans take up little space- along with a hose running direct from you to the tank are all you need- of coarse the fuel type retrofit is kinda expensive

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On trips like that, I use a couple of reda gas cans because they fit in the hard bags pretty well. I don't leave them in all the time just for trips like that. They do make everything in the bag smell like gas even though they say they don't..

Reda Innovations Official Website
Purrfect
Thank you!
I will get one of those

I once did a trip coast to coast on a iron head Sporster .
The 2.2 gal tank was bit of a challenge LOL

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like they sell a plastic bag to put the tank in too if you did not want to use a garbage bag to stop the smell.......albeit gas permeates most materials .
Again thanx a bunch!

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered the one suggested as it fits right into the bag.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My friend did this a couple years back with a 1 gallon gas can, thing is you have to vent the can especially in the heat of the sun, if you don't 1 of the caps will blow off and gas goes all over your seat or where ever you have it, not easy getting the smell of gas out, he bought a new seat, he never tried it again because with a cap slightly loose for venting with the stopping, turning, starting and road bumps the gas would seep out again, I would watch my fuel gauge and fill up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts