Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ware glases Problem 1. poliroid glases darken shadows to the point I can't see pot holes or people walking with dark clothes . also when I lower my face mask I get a sycodelic coloring effect. 2.Tried non polerizing clipons better but now I'm getting sun glare. I tried those yellow tinted glases and they produce extreem contrast. Anyone have this problem? The only time I ride with no trouble is on overcast days. scol

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I too where prescription glasses. I'm not sure if you have Transitions or just plain lenses but polarizing lenses are great for the motorcycle. They should reduce the amount of glare that you have to deal with. The problem lies when you look through two polarized lenses. Because they only allow light to enter the lens in one direction hence the name. The way you can tell is take both sets of glasses or in your case your glasses and your helmet visor and look through them when you hold them at a 90 degree angle to each other. In other words, go to the drug store and grab two sets of polarized sun glasses, hold them so one set of lenses faces the other set, now twist one set so now it's 90 degrees to the first. Now you will notice through the lenses you wont be able to see anything. All light gets blocked out.

I dont think there any motorcycle visors that are not polarized so the only thing I can think of is to get a pair of prescrips that are not polarized.

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
I just got back from the eye Dr. (literally, eyes are still dilated) I'm having LASIK on Nov 21 and will never again deal with this issue. I currently wear HD riding sunglasses and a clear helmet shield, seems to work okay.

A month from now it will all be a thing of the past!!:cheers:

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the imput every one. Hoss,good luck with your Lasik .

·
Registered
40,764 Posts
I just got back from the eye Dr. (literally, eyes are still dilated) I'm having LASIK on Nov 21 and will never again deal with this issue. I currently wear HD riding sunglasses and a clear helmet shield, seems to work okay.

A month from now it will all be a thing of the past!!:cheers:
I had LASIK done a few years ago.... I can't even imagine having to wear glasses again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ware glases Problem 1. poliroid glases darken shadows to the point I can't see pot holes or people walking with dark clothes . also when I lower my face mask I get a sycodelic coloring effect. 2.Tried non polerizing clipons better but now I'm getting sun glare. I tried those yellow tinted glases and they produce extreem contrast. Anyone have this problem? The only time I ride with no trouble is on overcast days. scol
The psychedelic coloring effect is due to the shield acting as a prism and refracting the light, which you can't avoid. The polarized lenses do darken shadows but have you tried riding without perscription glasses? Lowe's markets a fantastic pair of glasses in both a blue and amber lens which are "Z" rated (required by law).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently purchased a pair of Wiley X polarized /transition sunglasses and had them done with my prescription. I don't know what took me so long in doing this, they are great for riding, and living in Cali, we see a fair bit of sun.

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
Thanks for the imput every one. Hoss,good luck with your Lasik .
much appreciated. Will have to stay off the bike for 10 days after surgery. I'm hoping for lots of rain and freezing weather!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts