Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a SG. Have owned several fat boys and have a pair of 7eye glasses with gaskets that fit fairly tight and never had any issues with; however on the turnpike today it was a little windy and I could barely keep them on my face. Any ideas or glasses I should look at?

Any help appreciated.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,361 Posts
Had a problem with my glasses being blown around and the shaking made visibility for me impossible...and without the glasses, I am bat blind. My solution was to install the taller windshield that someone had willed me before I got the new bike. Works great for me.
I know that isn't practical for a lot of people, so if you're not in my vision restricted category, you might try goggles.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have maxx glasses, they work great. Dont fog up and have nice foam padding with cut outs for just enough air. They coast me about 20 bucks. Also try about a 8 to 9 inch windshield

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have prescription riding glasses called wrap arounds. They were specifically designed for riding. I was able to use our insurance for prescriptions. They work great.

Attachments

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
It sounds like the glasses are not your problem.

Are you saying that you never had a problem with them on your Fatboy and it just started with the SG?

If so, I think a different windshield might be in order. Also there is a wind deflector that mounts to the bottom tree between the forks that keeps the wind from coming up around the tank.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
JP is on the right track, I think. If you're not used to a windshield (or fairing, or both), they provide a very different experience. They create a drag field (void) for the rider. Backdraft and updraft can buffet a helmet or glasses in a way that direct windflow does not. Consider glasses that don't seal. Seal is not necessary behind a windshield the way it is in a direct, high velocity wind. Regular shades should perform better, from my experience.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
JP is on the right track, I think. If you're not used to a windshield (or fairing, or both), they provide a very different experience. They create a drag field (void) for the rider. Backdraft and updraft can buffet a helmet or glasses in a way that direct windflow does not. Consider glasses that don't seal. Seal is not necessary behind a windshield the way it is in a direct, high velocity wind. Regular shades should perform better, from my experience.
+1 what chief said. I have an 8" klockwerks recurve shield and side fairing wind deflectors and regular glasses work fine. I had a $100 pair from HD shop that were crap. Bought regular spider wire $15 sunglasses for fishing and they are the best I've ever had!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I've given up on regular glasses for the Hwy myself , since I tried some goggles that look like glasses. I can see much better with them strapped down not jiggling on my face.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,361 Posts
I'm not sure that the eyeglasses make that much difference. I wear some wireframes and they work as good as my old ugly GI glasses or my old Rayban sun glasses did years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like the windshield might be more of the issue. I just measured it and it's just at 8" from the top of the faring to the top of the windshield so nor sure on it's total height. I am 6'4" so possibly need a taller windshield? I hate looking through a windshield. So would you suggest a little taller than what's there now or start with fork mounted diverters?
Thanks in advance.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
You should not look through the windshield. My comes to my chin when I sit up straight and I am not in the wind unless I stand up. The problem is that your shades seal to your face and don't allow updraft to blow through them, I suspect.

Regular glasses. Try them and let us know if it solves your prob. Good luck.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i'm just under 6'0" & i have a freedom works 13" windshield. yes i look thru it but if i sit up straight i look over it.
& i clean it with plexus every time i park it.
you can get metal wraps for the ends of your glasses& they mold around your ears.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been riding for some time. Like 30 years or so.

Used to ride with just a bandana, some shades, jeans jacket with colors. Summer time only.

Gradually evolved to a helmet in cooler weather, gloves, chaps, leather jacket.

Saw some guys go down and decided to up grade. Upgraded to other bikes, other gear.

I now wear jackets/pants with armor ... gloves at all times, helmet at all times. I have 12 or 15 helmets. I don't need shades until I get off the bike.

My recommendation is to wear some sort of helmet with a visor/shield. I particularly like the Nolan 42. There are others.

As far as buffeting is concerned, I had the same/same problem with my '13 SG. Look for my post/thread "Helmet Shake ... ". I solved that to a great degree and will move to render the last 15% gone as well.

Or ... get a tether for your shades. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up a klock werks 8.5"recurve yesterday and the buffeting went away. Must have been the way the wind was coming over the shield.
Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts