1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Can you put a fairing on a RK??

·
BatRod
502 Posts
The fairing I use (KenDay) is designed for the RoadKing. Its about 80% as wide as the stock, but otherwise the same shape. Uses the windshield docking points.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
BatRod
502 Posts
I looked at both. The KenDay is $1000 less expensive, but does not have a back, or speakers, or place to put a radio, etc. But is also removable is a couple of seconds.
I have tried both the tall and short windscreens. I prefer the short with a full face helmet, tall if I'm wearing the shorty. The short, and fullface, results in less turbulence at the helmet.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
I just modified (shortened) the HD fairing Bra. $75.

Did I mention that I am of Dutch heritage. (ie: "Notoriously thrifty")

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Lil,

I ride with a guy who has a Dragonfly detachable mounted on his roadking. It looks absolutely great and he even has a stereo in it. It takes him a few minutes to take it off and put it on but I was totally impressed with the quality and fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did this a couple of years ago

Here is a picture of the FLH (clone) fiberglass fairing I purchased a couple of years back off eBay. It was white fiberglass, non painted. It is a little smaller and lighter than the HD fairing. I believe I paid about $65 for it on an auction. They have these available all the time.

Took it to a painter and had it spray painted 5 coats of Vivid Black and two coats clear. Also had the inside painted flat black. How come? Because there is no inner liner in it, just raw fiberglass. Ok so why not put the inner workings in it?

Long story, the bike is a 2000 VC-92 Sports Cruiser by Victory. They were only made a couple of years, starting in 1999. By 2000 they had not gotten all the bugs out. It was an attempt to place a large motor, 1507 cc's 92 Cubic Inches in a frame similar to a Sportster, not as wide, a little lighter and slightly more manoverable than their cruisers. Didn't really work very well.
Big motor is a gass. Grab a fist full and it literally jumps off the line. They'll runn with nearly anything out there, including Buells. Now they won't manover like one or even a Sportster. They don't corner well, they are too top heavy, and the seat height is about 29 inches. The speedo is located on top and inside the parkerized, black headlight. One of the reasons not to put a back on the fairing. If you do you cannot see the speedo, clock, trip meter, gas gauge, or turn signal indicators. Note if you ever get one, KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGED WITH A TRICKLE CHARGER. IF YOU EVER LET IT DIE, YOU LOOSE THE MEMORY IN THE CHIP, MEANING YOU LOOSE ALL MILEAGE DATA. YOU CANNOT GET IT BACK. IT'S A B--CH WHEN YOU WANT TO TRADER IN.

Back to the story, I ordered Memphis Shades quick disconnect kit from MS for the Victory. With this QD kit I was able to fit up the FLH Fairing onto the Victory. Anytime I wanted it off, all I had to do was loosen 4 hex head screws. On or off in less than 2 minutes.

I took it off when I traded the Vic in on my 06 XL 883L last November. I have it sitting in the garage collecting dust now. If any one is interested in it, I'll let her go for $200 plus shipping charges, whatever they turn out to be.

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "Why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. And if you are ever discouraged and think you might want to go back to youth, just think of Algebra. You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks. Being yount is beautiful...but being old is comfortable...
Picture in Gallary Section.

Attachments

·
BatRod
502 Posts
What it does do is increase the mass of the front end. Its not really heavier, but feels "slower". Personally, I wouldn't do without it, and it solved a lot of aerodynamic "issues" for me. It also hides all the crap I have tucked in behind it.
The Dragonfly is nice, but they gave me a run-around when I asked about a V-Rod. So I said "screw em". Kenday was great to work with. And the dragonfly still doesn't have a good place for the XM radio and/or iPod. So they would still be hanging out is space.
I suppose these days one can get a radio with XM built in, and an iPod jack, but not two years ago.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts