Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What material was used in making the fairings after fiberglass and before ABS? I have an older fairing and am trying to decide on what type of epoxy will bond to it or if glass and resin will work. I have a fairly good size piece I need to make and mold on the very outside left edge on the tight curve behind the clutch lever.
It just looks and feels like a thick, rigid, hard plastic of some type.

·
Banned
71 Posts
What material was used in making the fairings after fiberglass and before ABS? I have an older fairing and am trying to decide on what type of epoxy will bond to it or if glass and resin will work. I have a fairly good size piece I need to make and mold on the very outside left edge on the tight curve behind the clutch lever.
It just looks and feels like a thick, rigid, hard plastic of some type.
It is ABS. The MoCo just used the two materials . :)

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is ABS. The MoCo just used the two materials . :)
It is a lot thicker and far more rigid than my 13 SG fairing. It also doesn't have any webs or bosses inside. Its smooth like the outside. Glass doesn't play well with ABS. Probably will need an accelerator with a urethane then. Not what I was hoping for.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I guess I could use abs pipe primer & glue also. What do ya think? Anyone play with this before?
I've used ABS pipe grated up with a cheese grater, mixed with ABS pipe glue to form a paste, to repair Outer and inner fairings that were cracked . Also to repair the mounting brackets for speaker screws and where the brass inserts press in . :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts