Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a set of 12" Twin Peaks (thanks in part to this forum lol) but, was curious if those of you with the 12" bars still use or, installed fairing mounted mirrors? If so was the field of vision still good enough? I'm pretty average height at 5'10" so my hands will be only slightly lower than my shoulders giving me a clear view of where the mirrors will be mounted but, not sure of the adjust ability of fairing mirrors. I have read here about moving them out 1/2" to 1" and up 1/2' to 3/4".

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Results will vary from what I have read, with the 12" apes and the fairing mounted mirrors. I know my 14's were fine.

Guess you're gonna know soon!! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)Indeed I will! Worst case scenario I'll just have to plug the hole and go with some short stem mirrors.... Just like the clean look of the fairing mirrors.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
:)Indeed I will! Worst case scenario I'll just have to plug the hole and go with some short stem mirrors.... Just like the clean look of the fairing mirrors.
That was actually one of the determining factors of me going 14's over 12's. A lot cleaner of a look. :thumb

·
azz kicker
308 Posts
I have 16's and ended up flipping the stock mirrors and mounting them from the bottom, looks so much better than the german shepherd look !

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i know with my 10" twin peaks my fairing mirrors were a definite no go. now with the extra height, maybe.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
On my '14 SGS with 12" Wild One's Chubby bars the Brake and Clutch reservoirs exactly blocked the fairing mirrors. And it didn't bother me one bit that I had to add mirrors. I hated looking down that far to check the mirrors before I added the bars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 08 FLHX with 12" Paul Yaffe's and I kept my mirrors in the fairing. Perfect line of sight while riding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 12" Wild one chubbys now and can see if i position myself just right. That said i do have a 14" paul yaffee ordered. I want that extra bit of height and the yafffe look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good responses, thank you all. I've also looked in the factory service manual for the torque specs for the 2 1/2"×13 riser bolts and the riser clamp screws and, couldn't find them. Not sure if I should just go with the general fastener specs found in the front of the manual. Don't want to over tighten the two riser bolts and ruin the new urethane bushings or strip the risers.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
On my '14 SGS with 12" Wild One's Chubby bars the Brake and Clutch reservoirs exactly blocked the fairing mirrors. And it didn't bother me one bit that I had to add mirrors. I hated looking down that far to check the mirrors before I added the bars.
I agree with this. Same for me. I went with the bars that I felt fit me the best, removed faring mirrors and added handlebar mirrors. All good.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks sharp dub! Those teardrop mirrors don't look half bad. That's the bar mount mirrors I would choose too. Probably more natural for me to look over my hands for the mirrors than under.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
same mirrors im running CAM00016.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bgdv 1, are those the 10" twin peaks from LA Chopper by chance?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts