Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bud turned me on to this e-bay ad
Harley Davidson Softail | eBay
He's a member of another motorcycle site and said the ad caused a big stir among members

Some admired the work that went into it

Others said it was stupid to do that to the bike and expect to make more from it than if it was in it normal looking state

Also talks of liking bikes that got the bumps and marks,scratches the real way and from years not the fake stuff

I've takin some twin kawasukis from late seventies -early eighties and kinda bobbed them for a earlier looking P.O.S

Just something to talk about LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
39,554 Posts
smh

·
Try'n to behave
5,962 Posts
I notice that there are no bids.

At $19,500 starting bid, that's about $10K more than KBB so it's no surprise. Good luck to him, maybe P.T. Barnum was right.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I like it. I don't want it. But I like it. From a freedom of expression viewpoint, an artist doesn't need to explain his work. But then, I'm a huge fan of Rat Rods and bikes. They do this kind of thing commonly to "age" old cars for the movies.

--Actually, it kinda reminds me a little of how my bike looked when I found it. A friend even suggested that I take it in that direction instead of restoring it to stock condition. I didn't have the talent or the inclination for that, though.

--

·
Banned
71 Posts
I like it. I don't want it. But I like it. From a freedom of expression viewpoint, an artist doesn't need to explain his work. But then, I'm a huge fan of Rat Rods and bikes. They do this kind of thing commonly to "age" old cars for the movies.

--Actually, it kinda reminds me a little of how my bike looked when I found it. A friend even suggested that I take it in that direction instead of restoring it to stock condition. I didn't have the talent or the inclination for that, though.

--
OIC it's an "Artist" thing . I thought it was because you did not have a garage to put it in . :dunno

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
THat's going to be a hard sell at that price let alone not seeing it in person.

The Cousin Eddie RV:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
kinda neat-i think they did a nice job - to each his own-most people would walk by thinking it was a 70 year old bike

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've been in countless discussions about a very similar "expression" of doing it to guitars. Guys take new ones and make them look like they've been played on the road for 25 years.

Personally I hate it. It has the vibe to me that you are trying steal something that should be earned.

I kind of feel the same about the bike. If you find one that looks like that and want to ride it, God bless you. Saddle up and rock it with pride and joy. But, faking it just seems like a disingenuous act.

I don't like it and you can't make me!

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
adding patina to a vehicle( and making it look real) takes talent. i'm not really into that stuff, but I do like looking at it.
regards,
dave

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't like fakes, unless you're talking about boobs.:drool Now Pipewizards Indian scout, that is a true example of natural beauty.:nod

1 - 20 of 35 Posts