Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The geezer glide has been on the lift for quite some time this year. Started with an oil leak. Replaced the rear head gasket. Then the shifter broke... I went a little "wild". New linkage, new rear tire, new drive belt, new swingarm bushings, new wheel bearings. I even got the backrest mount re-welded.

Got it out and started riding last week. I heard a ticking sound that got worse and worse. Found a slight crack in the Samson exhaust right by the mount at the transmission. Riding home Friday a chunk the size of my fist blew out. Dang it's loud.

An 1130cc member (Sharkey) set me up with a slightly used 2:1 D&G setup. It will be here a week from Monday.

That being said, I still love the V-Rod, but the geezer glide is so full of memories. Every time I ride, I remember old friends, Daytona trips, camping, Natchez Trace, Big Bend, Hill Country, Ozarks.... the smell of the camp fires. The R doesn't have that effect.

It's also a sense of pride to know I did the work myself. I did the top end at 80k. I put in a high pressure/high flow oil pump. I rebuilt the tranny. I put on the Screamin Eagle heads. I put in the 3 phase charging system...

I am really looking forward to getting the new pipes on. I am also looking forward to the next 100k of miles on this bike.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Very cool having both bikes. It's one of few things better than having a Harley, is having 2 Harleys.

To switch back and forth from V-Rod to Airhead will remind you, too...

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some days you like the radio
Some days you like the iPod

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
No big surprise, I guess, that music has a higher priority in your world than mine.

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a cool pic somewhere of my infant daughter (now 11) my older daughter (now 16), my wife and me all dressed up for Easter right after I bought the bike. It was in a "family" photo once.

Once I get the new pipe on, I need to spend some time really giving it a thorough cleaning and have another family shot :D

·
old scoot coot
4,293 Posts
The geezer glide has been on the lift for quite some time this year. Started with an oil leak. Replaced the rear head gasket. Then the shifter broke... I went a little "wild". New linkage, new rear tire, new drive belt, new swingarm bushings, new wheel bearings. I even got the backrest mount re-welded.

Got it out and started riding last week. I heard a ticking sound that got worse and worse. Found a slight crack in the Samson exhaust right by the mount at the transmission. Riding home Friday a chunk the size of my fist blew out. Dang it's loud.

An 1130cc member (Sharkey) set me up with a slightly used 2:1 D&G setup. It will be here a week from Monday.

That being said, I still love the V-Rod, but the geezer glide is so full of memories. Every time I ride, I remember old friends, Daytona trips, camping, Natchez Trace, Big Bend, Hill Country, Ozarks.... the smell of the camp fires. The R doesn't have that effect.

It's also a sense of pride to know I did the work myself. I did the top end at 80k. I put in a high pressure/high flow oil pump. I rebuilt the tranny. I put on the Screamin Eagle heads. I put in the 3 phase charging system...

I am really looking forward to getting the new pipes on. I am also looking forward to the next 100k of miles on this bike.
sitting here in se kansas with hip surgery on first side. will be laid up all winter. any i was living vicariously through others on the forum when i say your o8 post. i hope you still have em both. by spring ill be healed up enough to rejoin you guys. im a geezer glide dude having withdrawl sympoms. thanks to you and the forum, i can dream from the recliner for a while. have fun, be happy.:biking:

·
Registered
40,777 Posts
He no longer has the V-Rod or that Geezer Glide.

He is on Geezer Glide II, and a FXD

·
Wayward Son
23,866 Posts
sitting here in se kansas with hip surgery on first side. will be laid up all winter. any i was living vicariously through others on the forum when i say your o8 post. i hope you still have em both. by spring ill be healed up enough to rejoin you guys. im a geezer glide dude having withdrawl sympoms. thanks to you and the forum, i can dream from the recliner for a while. have fun, be happy.:biking:
That explains some of the old posts your reviving.
Some members you replied to are likely no longer here.
Gtrman66 is.

Listen to the Doc`s. Do your therapy. Heal fast and be ready for the road next season. :thumb

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I'm here. Geezer Glide died a horrible death (totalled) on Highway 121 in Grapevine Texas a few years ago. She was replaced with Mamma Bear, a nearly identical '97 FLHT. The V-Rod got sold when the kids needed me to have a (gasp, cough, cough) car. Last March, Mamma Bear gave birth to a colt ('05 FXD Dyna Super Glide) named Babay Bear. They both are filthy from the last rain, but I try to stay in the saddle as much as I possibly can.

Heal up quick. Not sure if I am welcome in Coffeeville... my last name is Doolin. Google it :D

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
He no longer has the V-Rod or that Geezer Glide.

He is on Geezer Glide II, and a FXD

Gee (Wally, said the Beave) that sure was a fast 100,000 miles.

But it sure is fun to get a new(er) bike. . .

Enjoy Gtrman!

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Geezer Glide had 17k on her the day I bought it. When she died, there were 137k great miles.

I bought Mamma Bear with 106k, picking up close to where I left off (factory fresh engine installed at 108k). She now has almost 150k.

Baby Bear has 23k in March and is now pushing 40k.

·
old scoot coot
4,293 Posts
Yep, I'm here. Geezer Glide died a horrible death (totalled) on Highway 121 in Grapevine Texas a few years ago. She was replaced with Mamma Bear, a nearly identical '97 FLHT. The V-Rod got sold when the kids needed me to have a (gasp, cough, cough) car. Last March, Mamma Bear gave birth to a colt ('05 FXD Dyna Super Glide) named Babay Bear. They both are filthy from the last rain, but I try to stay in the saddle as much as I possibly can.

Heal up quick. Not sure if I am welcome in Coffeeville... my last name is Doolin. Google it :D
thanks, guitar man, kainam, and thunderstruck. ill be back out come spring unless i can make it sooner. ha gtrman, you are sure welcome here in goofeyville, just dont tell em you are related to the dulin brothers. just kidding, went to school with them. ill give you guys a shout sometime this spring. maybe i could buy you a burger in ft scoot or so. have fun, like you arent going to on a harley. and be happy.:biking:

·
old scoot coot
4,293 Posts

ok, i have to hear you guys play now. ill check your 2015 bookings. see ya.:biking:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts