Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been looking through everything and i see that a lot of you have beefed up you engines to go faster i want to just change belt pullys so i go faster but with lower rpms. ive a 2004 train pretty stock and noticed that when i pust it 75 thru 85 and hold it for a long time she gets hot 250+. temps here r in the 90s +here where im at. but when i toodle around temps r good between 150 and 200. so im thinking i can change the belt pullys and belt to get lower rpms at those speed it will clear up that problemi have push it beyond but never held it there long enough to see what happens. i was looking at a 34 trans pully and a 61 rear wheel. so ive come for opinions .

·
Registered
692 Posts
Check out Baker drivetrain. They have pulleys and somewhere on their site they list a chart with different gear ratios for different years of bikes. You would probably only need to change one sprocket not both. But it may not give you the effect that you are looking for. My 96 soft tail with the 6 speed would actually go faster in 5th gear them 6th gear because it didn't have enough power in 6th gear and I had V&H exhaust high flow air cleaner and the V&H tuner on it which made a noticeable difference in power.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I don't know enough to give specifics but on the sporty I had they changed the gear in the primary, this kept the engine from working too hard on highway speeds. Might want to look into that.. if you can. Belt and pulleys stayed stock.

·
Registered
36,971 Posts
Oil cooler + synthetic oil would be an easier and cheaper fix. :nod

·
Registered
110 Posts
yep,look at the compensator sprocket.i changed mine on my 05.i believe from a 25 to 27 tooth.sprocket and chain came as a kit for 225 i believe...dropped rpm bout 300 in 5th

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out Baker drivetrain. They have pulleys and somewhere on their site they list a chart with different gear ratios for different years of bikes. You would probably only need to change one sprocket not both. But it may not give you the effect that you are looking for. My 96 soft tail with the 6 speed would actually go faster in 5th gear them 6th gear because it didn't have enough power in 6th gear and I had V&H exhaust high flow air cleaner and the V&H tuner on it which made a noticeable difference in power.
thanx MRMETAL ill check them out

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I don't think anything will get the RPMs down 1K. But, the changes might get you half that.

Yes, you'll slow down the motor a little bit at cruising speed, but you are also going to give up a lot of performance. The bike will not pull like it did before. You'll find yourself gearing down a lot more just to get the bike to get out of its own way.

There's no way you are redlining the bike in fifth gear unless you are running well over 100 mph. You are probably turning around 3K or so which is pretty normal. I know it feels a little high, but it also keeps the motor within a nice area of its power curve. So, when you roll on the trottle, it has enough torque to accelerate the bike. If you make those mods, it won't do that. You'll have to downshift for even the slightest needs unless you are a very patient man.

And, 250 degrees is considered safe with the twin cam. But, if you are concerned an oil cooler does help quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks chasarms it does feel the engine is about maxed and it will go above the 250 mark
running about 85 i can feel the heat and also (tell tail sign) at idle the rpms are high
ill try the one of the pullys then ill try synthetic oil or visa versa haha. im frowning on the cooler but may half too.
thank you all for imputs im researching and putting your imputs in my brain for a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts