Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a new rear tire and not sure how to go....

Don't want the OEM rear due to the cupping issues I had with my current one. I have just over 8000 miles on it. I'm in TX specifically in the DFW area most of the roads I take are straight with minimal turns so I'm looking for something a little harder in the center than the sides.

My front was replaced with the OEM just a few thousand miles ago due to a warranty issue. (IT HAD A BAD BELT IN IT). Not sure if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
IMO. If you plan to keep your OEM front tire I suggest using the matching rear tire.
The cupping issue is usually related to inflation pressures and load.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd stick with the stockers since you just installed a new front.
You should have put on what you wanted at that time and just paid them the difference in the price.. most dealers would do that I'd think.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was told by a local shop it wouldn't hurt to mix the front and rear tires. That being said, I just replaced my stock Fatbob tires with Dunlop American Elites and the handling is night and day from the OEM tires, I'm sorry I waited so long. They have a harder compound in the middle of the tire and are supposed to last a lot longer. I was talking to some guys at the HD dealer this weekend running the OEM version of the American Elites and they said they were getting 16-20k on the touring bikes, so I'm hoping to get more on my bob.

·
High Plains Beast
37 Posts
I was told by a local shop it wouldn't hurt to mix the front and rear tires. That being said, I just replaced my stock Fatbob tires with Dunlop American Elites and the handling is night and day from the OEM tires, I'm sorry I waited so long. They have a harder compound in the middle of the tire and are supposed to last a lot longer. I was talking to some guys at the HD dealer this weekend running the OEM version of the American Elites and they said they were getting 16-20k on the touring bikes, so I'm hoping to get more on my bob.
DITTO! I just did the same on my 2014 FXDF and put the American Elite. The stock tires on the Fat Bob are JUNK! I blew through the front at 4k miles before I noticed severe cuping! Make the investment and get both, you'll be glad you did!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts