Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im pretty new to the forums so im not sure if this has been asked or posted anywhere before but i was wonder if anyone knew if a fat bob's front wheel would fit directly onto a stock wide glide. i had a chance to ride a fat bob and it felt so much more stable because of that huge front wheel and i wanted to find out if i could put one on my wide glide.

any help with the topic would be greatly appreciated and any lack of help would make my wife happy since i wouldnt be spending more money lol.

root for the home team and help me out here.

:bikerguy:

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
The FXDF front wheel has dual disk brakes to start, so it wouldn't be a direct swap.

Secondly the rake angle and tire height is different.

Could it be done sure, find an entire FXDF front end and swap them, but then you'd have a FXDF.

To use your current forks you'll have to find a fork leg that has provisions for the brake caliper and take some measurements to make sure the tire/wheel combo would fit.

I would guess that the difference you felt was not only the tire difference but, also the narrower fork angle and that second brake caliper sure gives better brake feel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FXDF front wheel has dual disk brakes to start, so it wouldn't be a direct swap.

Secondly the rake angle and tire height is different.

Could it be done sure, find an entire FXDF front end and swap them, but then you'd have a FXDF.

To use your current forks you'll have to find a fork leg that has provisions for the brake caliper and take some measurements to make sure the tire/wheel combo would fit.

I would guess that the difference you felt was not only the tire difference but, also the narrower fork angle and that second brake caliper sure gives better brake feel.
thats just upsetting... thanks though.. idk how i feel about it now. maybe i might buy a second bike.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I own a FXDF and have rode a few Wide Glides, I know what you mean, by the feeling of better stability. You might be able to get a different front tire that would help. The Dunlop that comes on the Wide Glide has a tendency to wonder over uneven surfaces.

Also you may be able to get a custom wheel that will accommodate a wider tire with your stock fork and brake set up.

Changing the rake would involve a changing the triple trees and fork legs to either custom parts or parts from a different Dyna, every other model has less rake than the Wide Glide.

But, the best answer is just buy a Street Glide, solves all the problems and has storage and tunes...

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
Try a softail heritage, fat boy, etc front rim. Their single disc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a FXDF and have rode a few Wide Glides, I know what you mean, by the feeling of better stability. You might be able to get a different front tire that would help. The Dunlop that comes on the Wide Glide has a tendency to wonder over uneven surfaces.

Also you may be able to get a custom wheel that will accommodate a wider tire with your stock fork and brake set up.

Changing the rake would involve a changing the triple trees and fork legs to either custom parts or parts from a different Dyna, every other model has less rake than the Wide Glide.

But, the best answer is just buy a Street Glide, solves all the problems and has storage and tunes...
Im slowly trying to ease my wife into letting me upgrade to RK or SG but who knows when thatll happen... thanks for the info though guys.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
May look into a fork brace. Made quite a difference on my FXSTC, same skinny tire you have. Feels more connected to road and stable. I run 32 PSIG cold, that's 2 lbs. higher than HD recommends. Ride safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts