Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just installed 13" apes toy fat bob and I love it. Now I do have a concern though. Where the risers connect to the triple tree is there rubber in there cause they are able to move. So basically when I ride if I pull or push an the bars, it moves back and forth where the risers connect to the triple tree. Is that normal? I already tried to tighten them but they were fine. Any thoughts as to why my risers move so much?

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
The same way the Egyptians built the pyramids. Leverage. You are able to apply much more leverage on the attachment point.

I highly recommend polyurethane bushings.

Also, if you are putting that much pressure on the bars you may want to consider pinning them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Ok thanks. What exactly is pining them?
In the old days it was drilling two holes through your clamp, bar and riser and pressing in a roll pin to avoid the bars spinning in the clamp.

Nowadays we just drill the holes in the bottom of the riser, thread the holes and use a set screw. Make sure to put a simple in the bar for the set screw to sit in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah pics would be great was thinking of doing the same. i tried to move my stock bars putting as much force as possible without dropping bike and dont see any movement.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
get poly bushings, best $40 bucks I ever spent. You take the 2 bolts that hold the riser to the tree, off. there are bushing in there just tap them out, put the new ones in and put the risers back on. Simple and easy. I ride a ridid mount sporty and had tons of vibes to my hands, changed the bushings, much better and no more vibes than my dad's road king.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
What they all said. I put 16" apes on mine, and had to go back and change to the poly bushings. JP is right about the pinning, but you may not need to after changing the bushings. Mine are not pinned and the only time I have noticed movement was when I was using the bars to back the bike over a hump in the concrete. And the bushing change won't take you but about 20 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts