Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to take this. Going too fast after watching races? Yes. Do helmet-cams encourage reckless driving? Probably sometimes. Was the car driver negligent? Yes. Whatever, I'm posting this in the spirity of the mother's wish that the dangers are seen by as many people as possible.

Family releases fatal motorcycle crash video - BT

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Powerful!

Had some time to rethink this. 97mph or kph BIG difference. It's on Facebook also.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
an old friend told me years ago, "if you are going to insist on doing stupid shit, you have to expect stupid shit is going to happen to you."

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
That is the British equivalent of being "left-turned" here. I have had it happen to me, and it is so quick (even at much lower speeds than this) that it defies belief. One second you are going down the road, next second you are in the air, and then you hit the ground. Be careful out there....they're out to get all of us.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I feel for his family, to be honest, his riding looked a bit reckless. Still a shame.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Motorcycling has an inherent risk factor and all you can do is try to constantly minimize them. Traveling down a scenic back road may seen innocent until you take your mind off of being the driver and a deer jumps out from behind a bush. Its not to be paranoid of biking, but to be mindful of the risks and your surroundings. As you get older like me ya don't get on it like that 38 year old in the video. The big factor that enters my mind is how my actions effect other, especially my family if because of my selfish stupidity something bad happens.

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
The video proves it can happen in a heartbeat. Older & wiser now has me riding slower than I used to--especially in traffic.
As I tell all new riders when asked for "old guy" advice.... Assume you are invisible and everyone is trying to kill you.
Always expect "the other guy" to do the dumbest sh!t at the worst possible time. (This one applies to all aspects of life.)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow!! A real eye opener! My hairs are standing up on the back of my neck. I had someone cut me off this week as we were both making a slow left turn at a light. He was in the outer left lane and I was in the right lane. Both we're turn lanes. Something told me to stay back a little and damn if I wasn't right! In the middle of the turn after the light went green, he decided he wanted to go into the right lane (without looking). Luckily I was slightly behind his rear bumper. I slammed my brakes, lifted the rear tire off the road a little and avoided him. His passenger just happened to look back as I was slamming the brakes (I think he almost soiled himself when he saw me scrambling)! And... All this happened in the blink of an eye and at about 15mph

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Incredibly powerful.

I kinda wish I hadn't watched it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Brings back memories, 1993 I was a victim of a left turn, I was only doing about 35 mph, pretty hard to avoid a 1970s four-door Pontiac Catalina. That wasn't the exact car but something similar. They picked me up off the road with a blood pressure of 60 over zero. I'm lucky to be alive with very messed up legs. Took me until last September to get another bike. 20 years later I'm okay with riding.
Indeed the videos very chilling.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Powerful!

Had some time to rethink this. 97mph or kph BIG difference. It's on Facebook also.
In Britain they usually use MPH for whatever reason, not KPH. Plus, looking at the speedometer it is at about halfway. Seeings as it is a sport bike I figure the speedometer probably goes to 170-200MPH meaning he is going about 100mph.

If it were a Harley that speedometer location would represent about 60MPH...

Regardlesss, what a shame. That scared the crap out of me when he got hit. I know he was going fast, but with all that gear on and the way he flew over the car (theoretically not taking all the impact at once) I am kinda surprised he was killed....then again people have been killed in so much less severe accidents.

·
Registered
356 Posts
"The video proves it can happen in a heartbeat. Older & wiser now has me riding slower than I used to--especially in traffic. "

well said brother.
same here.

I'm ridin' slower these days ... staying super ALERT in traffic ... keeping more options open for brake-and-swerve. when it goes bad, it goes bad FAST.

stay sharp bro's ... but don't quit riding!

dT

·
Registered
356 Posts
BTW ... have been talking about the Left Turn accident scenario with other riders - who also do a lot of traffic. The general consensus is that its VERY hard to avoid a collision if you are the the fast lane ... and the oncoming car cuts you off. Best strategy is to be in the slow lane and stay alert - any time a "left turn" conflict could happen.

dT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow. Chills here also. I don't think one should focus on the speed the guy was doing. I'm sure it happens at slower speeds also. Ride defensive and as if they don't see you!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts