Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I’ve been having some trouble with the popping oil cap, recently I have oil change and add a little bit more and this started to happen. I pour it off and added the measure needed (3.5L). I’m still having trouble with the popping cap! Not dropping oil now but still popping and for sure it’ll sooner or later will begin dropping oil again. Any ideas, recommendations, or anything I should do now?

·
weird member
2,051 Posts
When adding oil, do not go by the listed capacity, you will overfill every time.

Go by what the manual says with regard to full mark. If it has a dip stick and says fill it to this mark on the stick when cold, go by that. If it says the oil should be at this mark when hot, you check it at that mark when hot. If it says to fill until it reaches as certain level, you just fill to that level.

By dropping oil, do you mean blowing oil out the breather? That happens when it's over-filled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice, my dip stick marks me to check it when hot... and yes, when it drops oil it’s literally from the oil cap, is the breather there? New to this lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice, my dip stick marks me to check it when hot... and yes, when it drops oil it’s literally from the oil cap, is the breather there? New to this lol
I also was thinking the oil cap gasket might be not working good because it’s kinda loose... I don’t think it should be that loose

·
Registered
37,565 Posts
I also was thinking the oil cap gasket might be not working good because it’s kinda loose... I don’t think it should be that loose
Those stoppers on the oil stick shrink with age. You can extend the usefulness of the dipstick by several years with a 10c fender washer.

·
weird member
2,051 Posts
Oh, no that's not the breather, the breather is part of the engine (actually, there's more than one part that has a breather, so, don't worry about that for now).

Ok, you said dropping oil out from the spot you fill the tank, where the dipstick is? This is when it's warmed up and had been running? Oil can come out from there too if it's too full.

Ride the bike about 10 miles or something, however long it takes to be fully warmed up, then check the oil level on the dip stick, use a rag, it'll be hot. If it's above the mark, you're too full and that could be a reason you're popping the cap and losing oil.

Also, make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike upright and level, not on the kickstand.

The oil can expand when it gets hot, also air gets introduced. So the total volume of space it takes up is greater, so as it expands, it could be pushing off your oil cap, especially if the dipstick cap is loose.

If you do have too much oil in it, you can use a cheap turkey baster to remove some of the oil. That's what I do on the rare occasion I overfill it.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
What Schmidty and Kainam said or a heavy duty rubber band. Get you home if it pops out on the road some where.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What
YEAR
MODEL
is your bike ? My 1995 DYNA has a black "O"-ring that attempts to keep my Oil Dip Stick in the opening
If your bike utilizes one of these "O"-ring - it would be a CHEAP fix
If that does not solve your problem - and - IF (if) your engine oil is NOT over-filled ...

My next step might be the oil breather (TOP / HEAD BREATHER on some years ... BOTTOM BREATHER on older bikes)

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
My magic 8 ball says: 2008 FatBoy
Those are obsolete now. Must be a APP down load to your phone. Need APP for almost everything except to actually answer or make call now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts