Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 03 Fatboy (FLSTFI) w/ SE Exhaust. I am looking to pickup a stock set of pipes. Will any year Fatboy stock exhaust work?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
2003 has the TC88 engine, correct? If so, I have a complete set of unmodified stock exhaust off my 2005 FLSTFI Fat Boy. I changed my system out to a heritage staggered dual stock exhaust within the first year I had the bike. Interested? You'd have to pay for shiping from Wisconsin down to you. PM if you're interested and we can work something out. I'll have to dig it out of my basement and make sure all the parts are there, but they should be. I did a complete exhaust switch pretty early on to lower the pipes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer hockeydawg12. I believe the shipping might be too much but I will look into it. I found a stock set off a 07 fatboy for $50. I believe they have the O2 sensor bungs but I don't know if there's any other difference (does the 96" motor take a different set of pipes)

·
Registered
803 Posts
As Windy said 2001 to 2006 will bolt right up. 2007 may have a different mounting bracket, but the mounting to the heads is the same. The factory shotgun exhaust looks great, but if you have a passenger they will burn their ankle and or melt shoes on pipes. The factory Heritage exhaust also looks nice and eliminates this since it fits lower.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
The 07's should fit BUTT you will have to PLUG the BUNG hole.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
As Windy said 2001 to 2006 will bolt right up. 2007 may have a different mounting bracket, but the mounting to the heads is the same. The factory shotgun exhaust looks great, but if you have a passenger they will burn their ankle and or melt shoes on pipes. The factory Heritage exhaust also looks nice and eliminates this since it fits lower.
The routing by the passenger peg is why I switched to the heritage exhaust. That and I wanted to put a bigger set of saddle bags on my bike. But I the shotgun exhaust that comes standard does look nice if you're not running bags.

Good luck with your search for pipes. If you change your mind and wanna look into me shipping you my set, let me know.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The 07's should fit BUTT you will have to PLUG the BUNG hole.
Too easy.....to easy.........

Agreed. Newer models will fit, and you can go to a hardware store, and buy plumbing plugs.

·
Retired citizen
23,116 Posts
The only difference with the SE exhaust is the mufflers ( slip ons ) the head pipes are the same . All ya need are a set of stock mufflers . Slide the SE mufflers off and slide the stock muffs on is all .

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Too easy.....to easy.........

Agreed. Newer models will fit, and you can go to a hardware store, and buy plumbing plugs.
Guess you didn't notice the third word in all caps. I just love answereing threads with the word's BUTT PLUG and BUNG and it making sense

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the comments (even the bung hole and butt plug comments)
I appreciate them. After a few short rides, I am starting to like the sound of the screaming eagle pipes. (I also got my first leg burn from the pipes. Not liking that too much!)

Do different baffles significantly effect the exhaust tone? performance?

I have been looking for pictures of the heritage pipes. Are they the duals that exit both sides of the bike?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Thanks to all for the comments (even the bung hole and butt plug comments)
I appreciate them. After a few short rides, I am starting to like the sound of the screaming eagle pipes. (I also got my first leg burn from the pipes. Not liking that too much!)

Do different baffles significantly effect the exhaust tone? performance?

I have been looking for pictures of the heritage pipes. Are they the duals that exit both sides of the bike?
Heritage: Pipes exit on right side, unless it's a Heritage Springer.

Mufflers are the difference of a good sounding bike, or a Harely that sounds like a sewing machine.

SE pipes (that you have) are really mild compared to some other brands or choices out there. Plus, you can change the baffles in them, if I'm correct, to be louder if you wanted.

Yes, they enhance performance, but only if fuel is added to make up for the loss of backpressure and exhaust velocity, that the more "oepn" baffles provide.

If not, the bike will have a loss in the low to midrange torque, and may only see a mild gain in the topend HPs.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
To see the heritage pipes on a fat boy, take a look at my images.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The only difference with the SE exhaust is the mufflers ( slip ons ) the head pipes are the same . All ya need are a set of stock mufflers . Slide the SE mufflers off and slide the stock muffs on is all .
From looking at the picture of his bike they look like the SE double barrel exhaust not the Slip ons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hockeydawg, those heritage pipes look nice on a fatboy. What type of rear foot rests do you have. I think I need something that provides more protection from the hot pipes. (I already cleaned part of someones shoe from the pipe)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I put on some aftermarket floor boards I picked up online. Cheap boards and I made my own mount. I took a couple of pieces of aluminum round bar, drilled and tapped one end on each, ran a bolt from inside out on the frame where the old exhaust mounted. Then drilled and machined some flats on the other end to acept the floor board mount. They don't flip or anything, but the wife likes 'em a whole lot better than the old pegs that were on there. I was trying to save money and do it myself.

If you can swing it, Harley has a passenger floorboard kit that pushes the feet out away from the bike alittle.

If you want to see a more close-up shot, let me know. And I probably still have the invoice from where I bought the boards from if you're interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want to see a more close-up shot, let me know. And I probably still have the invoice from where I bought the boards from if you're interested.
Hockeydawg12,
If It's not too much trouble, I would like to see a close up of the passenger footrest you fabricated. I think that's the type of setup I would like to have.
Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Plan to do some work on my exhaust this week. I'll take a few pics then and post them up for you. Hope you had a good Christmas.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Rjbrown,
Sorry for the long delay. Here's a couple of shots of passenger boards. I couldn't find the invoice from where I got them though. You'll notice I made the mounts myself. Its an aluminum rod drilled and tapped on one end to mount to the bike. Then I machined a flat on top where the floorboard rests.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts