Harley Davidson Forums banner

Fattening up the Sporty

6K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Wayne 
#1 ·
I finally got my Harley, a 1200C, but it was not my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike but I was set on something a little fatter. Has anyone tried throwing some fatter tires on their Sporty? I love the look of the Fat Boy/Bob tires & wheels. Could this be somehow adopted by a Sportster?

#2 ·
Truman-

First Welcome aboard. That's a real classic motorcycle you bought,
I believe you'll find it's a real handful.

Second, I think you'll want to try to suppress the urge to do mods.

Your comment about the Sportster not being your first choice sounds like
you want to be sensible with expenses, and you really will not believe
what it costs to do mods on HD (High Dollar) motorcycles.

We're talking brutally expensive. Beyond your wildest estimate.

I believe you will find that to add a wide tire kit to your new Sportster
might just increase your investment by 30%

To each his own, of course, but I keep hearing the guy at the dealership parts counter over 30 years ago telling me, when I was saying about that same thing about my new 75 SuperGlide..... he said
Would'ja like to know what I'd do with that motorcycle if it was mine? RIDE IT! NOTHIN' ELSE.

#3 ·
Yeah, I kinda realized that, just looking at the price of replacing the spoked wheels with some rims (yikes!!!). I'm just not a big fan of the big 21in skinny front tire. I could go with a 19in with a more cast-style rim. The other thing I was thinking about (nothing to do with the tires) was getting a brawler single seat. Anyone done that?

#4 ·
Welcome Truman and by reading your post it sounds to me for a couple thousand more your would have been better off with a Fat Bob or Street Bob. Both those bikes have what your looking for and would be cheaper than what your trying to do with the sporty.

#7 ·
Values $$$$

When I bought my 08 Nightster the Oz dollar was almost the same as the US....did I get it any cheaper.....not a f@%&en chance. Have now spent just under 24K Oz on it (have done a lot of stuff though)....yet would have cost me half that in the land of Harley....the good ol US of A. Now that our dollar has died and I earn $US....I am going to try and turn it around to my advantage and max out on the 1993 Heritage putting everything on it I can(all suggestions welcome).......mmmm...will be interesting to see if the prices of bits suddenly start to go up...it is a cruel world :rolleyes:

Wayne

#9 ·
I just ride my o4 but the 1200 is a sweet engine and if got serious on an issue like yours I would consider getting a whole frame/ rear swingarm kit as you might as well consider your front end rake and cosmetics like the tank for instance.

#10 · (Edited)
Nightster Photos

A couple of pics of the Nightster finished (Mmmm I think so anyway)

Wayne

Screamin Eagle High Flow Filter/Vance and Hines Pipes/Powercommander = 85.1 hp
Spoiler
Hot Toppers
Sissy Bar
Forward Controls
Anniversary Badges
Duel Seat
Rear Progressive Shocks
Screamin Eagle High Flow Filter

Attachments

#14 ·
Kainam...I would love to have kept the side mounted plate...but I will be lucky to get away with the pipes...stalled rideing out of the shopping centre yesterday...just trying to keep the noise down..it barks mate. I know of a guy who has the side mounted plate ion his bike in Sydney,,,other side of the country, and thus far has got away with it..as I said will be lucky to get away with the pipes...dont wish to draw any more attention to it lol....law enforcement wise that is lol.

09 blackthunder..they are vance and hines short shots...just not staggered....so you should get similar results...???

PS...I also changed the grips..and Mmmm...I think thats it. I love it ..current project is the 1993 Heritage.....now that is going to be something when it is finished...went into the shop today. Will definately post photos when that is finished.

Cheers All

Wayne

#15 ·
fattening up the sporty

I have a 09 nightster and i want to try to swap out the stock peanut style gas tank to the street bob style gas tank.which is a lower profile tank and fatter as well!!h-d should have put the street bob style tank on the the nightster!! right now nobody that i know of makes the street bob style tank for the nightster ,other than having one custom made for it .which means putting out big bucks for one!!!

#16 ·
I have a 09 nightster and i want to try to swap out the stock peanut style gas tank to the street bob style gas tank.which is a lower profile tank and fatter as well!!h-d should have put the street bob style tank on the the nightster!! right now nobody that i know of makes the street bob style tank for the nightster ,other than having one custom made for it .which means putting out big bucks for one!!!
You could always put the Sportster Custom tank on your Nightster...
4.5 gal vs the 3.3 gal on your Nightster. If you have a solid black Nightster, or the Orange/Black Nightster, you can get it already pre painted to match.

#19 ·
hey kainam,checked around and your right that the sportster custom tank will fit the nightster,but this is what i`ve been told.i looked at the 09 parts book and the book states the it fit every xl- except for the nightster?must be some reason that they specify that??and if it does fit i`ve been told that i would have to replace the seat because the custom tank is about two inches longer than the nightster tank.on my bike there is about a inch and a half space between the seat and the stock tank.what do you think?personally i think that i won`t have to change the stock seat,but i could be wrong!!!checked the price for a custom tank and gasket kit is about $550.00 not to bad at all if it will fit??

#20 ·
It's a snug fit, but it works.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=230182

He actually re-used his gaskets etc from his stock tank.... up to you if you want to re-use or not.

I wonder why the catalogs say those tanks won't fit the 883 Low. It also uses the same seat as the Nightster doesn't it?

#21 ·
kainam,what year tank is that on the nightster ?the 1200 custom tank . and what gaskets are you refering too that he reused ,and did the stock nightster seat work with the 1200 custom tank???sorry about all the questions about the tank !but once i pay the $500.00 for the tank it`s mine whether it fits or not !!so i hope you understand my concern! was there any problems installing it ,or was it a simple swap of the tanks?? thanks for all the help kainam!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.