Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New to the forum. (Thanks for accepting)

Just completed an oil change on a 06 Ultra I recently picked up. Used a HiFlo HF 171C, Using Brad Penn 20W-50 partially synthetic.
My question is, after running the bike for 15 minutes , oil pressure dropped to 0, bike started lugging. No leaks, oil level fine. oil light came on,
pulled over trailered bike home.
Has anyone heard of new filters failing? My first time using HiFlo Filters.
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

·
Retired citizen
22,894 Posts
HI Canada ! Question, was the engine running good before you did the service ?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,211 Posts
I wouldn't go pointing fingers at the filter for dropping OP to zero, but perhaps a problem with the oil pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
absolutely, engine was 100%, just seemed too coincidental for pressure to drop right after oil change. Just installed new K&N filter & no difference. Going to check sending unit wires, and follow up with pressure gauge if necessary

·
Asylum Inmate
11,568 Posts
If it went as last time where you had pressure and then it went to zero.

Crankcase is not breathing correctly

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
FWIW
Synthetic blends are a waste of $$.
Has been proven to have no benefit over fossil.

We now return you to the original reason for your posting.

.....Going to check sending unit wiresb, and follow up with pressure gauge if necessary.....
Would say since the drop and lugging corresponded, it is working.

·
Registered
22 Posts
06 Ultra spring cam chain tensioner may have given up the ghost and took out the oil pump. Wouldn’t be the first one
EvoRK, good guess. If the bike sat for months or years and you suddenly start it maybe a cam shoe that was on the edge might just go. Time to take the "points" cover off and do the check.

My Ultra's a 2006 also, I did the SE hyd kit a few years ago. You gotta do it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the advice/experience
Turns out it was a cam bearing, took a chunk from oil pump. Just weird it happened at precise moment I changed oil.
So tore it down, did screaming eagle cam plate/hydraulic tensioners, fueling cams, 95" big bore kit, Ness air box, Reinhardt true duals. My cheap buy, ain't so cheap anymore. But it certainly moves better when ya twist on it ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts