Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 90's

Votes: 1 3.6%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give me the 60's. Can wear leather, decent gloves, boots, etc. and not be roasting like a piece of meat with grill marks from the seams of clothing. OK, give me the 70's at night. Your daytime optimal riding temp?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll take the 70's or the low to mid 80's. Once it gets into 90, you better be on the highway with no stop lights, 100's, just park it.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Generally, as long as it's over 60 and under 100, I'm fine. Don't care too much for being roasted in traffic when it's 90+ but on the highway... as long as I have lots of water, I'm fine.

Somewhere around 80 would be ideal.

And if it's January... a dry, sunny 50 is quite enjoyable.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I ride down to 33 (dont want to deal with ice) and up to about 95. Ideal to me is low to mid 70's or cooler. I also like to wear all the safety gear. July, August is the off season to me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm a desert dweller, and I like it hot. 90s are a bit much, but they don't stop me. I even ride in the triple digits, but I can get out of town with only 2 stop signs. :D

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Generally, as long as it's over 60 and under 100, I'm fine. Don't care too much for being roasted in traffic when it's 90+ but on the highway... as long as I have lots of water, I'm fine.

Somewhere around 80 would be ideal.

And if it's January... a dry, sunny 50 is quite enjoyable.
Sounds about right, but I have been known to ride into the mid-30's if needed. And we don't always get to choose here so there are a few rides above 100°, so you need to stay hydrated.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds about right, but I have been known to ride into the mid-30's if needed. And we don't always get to choose here so there are a few rides above 100°, so you need to stay hydrated.
This reminds me... what is the coldest any of you have ridden in? One winter night I rode 33 miles at 60mph down a highway for dinner and saw 17 degrees on the bank sign. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

At least I didn't have to clean off any bugs. :rofl:

·
Steve
262 Posts
This reminds me... what is the coldest any of you have ridden in? One winter night I rode 33 miles at 60mph down a highway for dinner and saw 17 degrees on the bank.........

Rode 7 miles one morning to work last winter at 22 degrees. Don't want to do that again

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Coldest? New Year's Day, 1994. Rode back to the North Side from the Highland House... about 25 miles in the snow. Tucked the front end on my Softail while braking over a manhole cover. I'd say it was maybe 33 deg.

Also rode in a couple Toys For Tots parades over the years that were prolly in the upper 30's.

Maybe someday I'll pick up some heated gear.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coldest? New Year's Day, 1994. Rode back to the North Side from the Highland House... about 25 miles in the snow. Tucked the front end on my Softail while braking over a manhole cover. I'd say it was maybe 33 deg.

Also rode in a couple Toys For Tots parades over the years that were prolly in the upper 30's.

Maybe someday I'll pick up some heated gear.
KBO... Saw a post from someone once regarding heated gear. He made the remark, "What took me so long". So I finally bought a heated jacket and gloves several years ago. I now say the same... "What took me so long." Just put a lead onto the battery and plug in. I know I get looks from drivers thinking I must be freezing, when in reality, I'm toasty warm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anything from 60 to 85 degrees is great. I've got lots of miles logged when temps were in the 20s but I also have heated gear.

Lately it's been to hot to ride......can't believe I said that.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I read a report in a motorcycle magazine once where they did a big test on riding in cold weather. To cut to the chase, what they concluded was that anyone can take just about any temp for 15 minutes, no matter how bundled up you are, if you are in the 40's or lower you can only last 45 minutes or so. The only way to ride in cold weather for any length of time is to add energy into the system i.e. electric vest and gloves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts