Harley Davidson Forums banner

1541 - 1549 of 1549 Posts

·
weird member
1,939 Posts
Beretta 3032 IMO.
You mean for the wife? She's already got one she likes in mind that she can rack, she already tried it (my brother's wife has one). I forget what it is. One minute...

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
The 3032 is double action, no need to rack. That's why I like that little auto.

·
weird member
1,939 Posts
Sig Sauer P938 is what she's looking at.

I already know she has no issues firing a regular 9mm, but that's the one my brother's wife has that she likes the size of and they were here one day and she could rack it fine.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Sig Sauer P938 is what she's looking at.

I already know she has no issues firing a regular 9mm, but that's the one my brother's wife has that she likes the size of and they were here one day and she could rack it fine.
Kyle, from your previous posts I know your wife has had a problem with racking the slide on various guns. So, I'm glad you all have found something she can rack. And I'm also glad to hear it is a 9mm and not a .380. Yeah, bigger is better. But...., I kinda wonder about her choice being a single action semi auto vs. a double action semi auto. Does she do a lot of shooting? And does she plan to carry with a round already in the chamber? Any one, me, you, your wife, my wife, is at a distinct disadvantage if carrying without a round already in the chamber because if and when you ever need to pull the gun out it is going to require BOTH hands to rack the slide. And if you have been blindsided you may have one arm up blocking blows, or trying to maintain your balance, or hang onto your purse strap, or trying to grab a rail on stairs, etc., etc. My way of thinking is a defensive firearm must be ready for you to grab with one hand and pull the trigger immediately.

I guess you can tell my vote is to carry a semi auto with a round already in the chamber. But carrying with one in the pipe, a single action presents a problem you don't have with a double action in that you must carry the single action either "cocked and locked" or hammer down. And my vote on that is for cocked and locked. But either way, when pulling the gun you still have an extra step you don't have with a double action--you must either thumb off the safety or cock the hammer. Thumbing off the safety can be done with your hand gripping the gun in your usual "shooting grip" position with a little practice. But having to thumb cock the gun will most certainly require you to move your hand out of your shooting grip position to cock it then move your hand back to your firing grip.

Anyway, really glad she found something she likes. Hope she gets in lots of practice drawing and quickly getting off a couple of rounds. I wouldn't worry near as much about exactly where on a target her rounds may strike as I would worry about her being able to very quickly draw and rip a couple off.

·
weird member
1,939 Posts
Well, it's going to be a while before she's ready for carrying at all, let alone in any kind of way. I still need to get her to the range more to practice. She needs to be able to even hit the target paper with every shot. Last time we went, I think of 15 shots, 2 didn't even hit the paper, and that's at the short mark on the indoor range.

I actually had her shoot a double action revolver without it being cocked and she had a hard time with the trigger pull. She could pull it fine if it was already cocked. I can also say she doesn't like .38 and she damn sure doesn't like .357, at least, not from a snub .38 ha ha ha.

But, I don't know anything about that gun, I just know my bother's wife has one and mine liked it. Though, never shot it before but they offered to let us borrow it. I have literally done no research into that particular gun.

I always carry cocked and locked. There's almost no point to not being cocked and locked, because if you have to defend yourself in a struggle, that gun is just a blunt object like a hammer.

But yeah, at the moment, all I am worried about is just getting her able and comfortable with shooting. And no, she doesn't go that often at all, been a total of 2 times.

So, it looks like it is going to be quite a LONG while before sitting down to get her a different gun.

But, although she has her CC permit, when I finally get her to the point of concealed carry, I will have her comfortable with carrying cocked and locked, if I can get her to that point. For now though, even if she were to the point of carrying, she'd just have it in her vehicle for when she's at work. Otherwise, she doesn't go out on her own (she doesn't go out at all, she's just not the type), we're always out together. The big thing at the moment I am worried about is for her to protect herself at home if I am gone. She can't pull the trigger on the PA-63 couch gun, but I would leave my .45 cocked and locked where all she has to do is flip the slide safety, and she shot that before and can handle it fine.

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
I love those pistols BUT that would only happen if I win a lottery or something ! Nice seeing them tho !
But only accurate out to about 75 feet, 1"MOA (25 yards) from a rest ? Maybe I didn't get that right ?

1541 - 1549 of 1549 Posts