Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to have a favorite charity but I'm always so wary of those reports of money wasted, high executive salaries, etc.

Since it seems the motorcycle community is so closely related to the military, what is your favorite military-related charity?

·
Banned
1,604 Posts
As of late , Wounded Warrior seems to be doing the best things for those who need the most help. But I'm a bit cynical of ALL charities.:think

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
I do some things with Wounded Warriors. They seem to be pretty much on track.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Be careful and do a little research on the group before making a donation. There are groups out there that have a large overhead cost and only a percentage of your donation goes to the wounded soldier.

Consider Operation Comfort Warriors. The administration costs are paid by the American Legion National HQ and 100% of your donation goes to the cause.
http://www.legion.org/operationcomfortwarriors

Joshua

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
My problem with wounded warriors is that they are openly anti-gun.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
From Tom Gresham show
http://clashdaily.com/2012/12/wounded-warrior-project-ceo-confirms-organization-is-anti-gun-and-anti-knife/ If you search you can find the audio of his conversation with them.

There is a link in the article to the full exchange between Tom and the PR person from WWP. Basically they are happy to take money from the gun industry and anyone related to it, but only anonymously. "Please dont come to the front door, leave your check with the staff at the side door. We don't want anyone to know. "

·
Registered
39 Posts
Royal British Legion, but I donate to all.

Help for Heroes, has seen a surge in sales of Merchandise since the cold blooded murder of Drummer Lee Rigby, in broad daylight near a school, in our Capital city. Lee was proudly wearing a Help for Heroes sweatshirt.

A little of topic but I found this poem on another forum.

Just out for a walk after an early stack
Not looking for trouble not watching my back
Mothers with prams holding hands with their kids
Not paying attention to the car as it skids
Caught completely off guard not expecting what comes
One man with a knife another with guns.
No chance of defence no chance to fight back
Looking for help as the cowards attack
An angel arrives as the light turns to grey
A woman attempts to steer attackers away
My last thought of ‘Thank You’ never strays from my brain
As my body shuts down and I feel no more pain.

I look to my left and I look to my right
Thousands of squaddies are all that’s in sight
Uniforms are crisp and their faces are clean
No sign of anger or hate to be seen
As if by command they salute all as one
The RSM smiles, says ‘Welcome home son’.
Take care HERO and stand down

Drummer Lee Rigby R.I.P.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
From Tom Gresham show
Wounded Warrior Project CEO Confirms Organization Is Anti-Gun and Anti-Knife - Clash Daily :: Clash Daily If you search you can find the audio of his conversation with them.

There is a link in the article to the full exchange between Tom and the PR person from WWP. Basically they are happy to take money from the gun industry and anyone related to it, but only anonymously. "Please dont come to the front door, leave your check with the staff at the side door. We don't want anyone to know. "
Thanks for the link, pisses me off i just sent them a check 2 weeks ago. next letter i git from them will be returned with a little piece of my mind. Looks like an organization like this would at least stay nutruel and not let their anti-gun stance hurt their cause. Oh well, they made their bed.......now they can sleep in it.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The anti-gun stance of WWP is a no brainer but I had read a bit about the over-priced beauracracy. This is the kind of charity I'm not interested in.

I love the idea of the small, local charity. Horses for Heroes was mentioned in the comments on one of the above-linked articles. It looks like a good one.

I'll keep searching.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Check this link for names and grades on Veterans Charities. As rated by Military Money Matters.

Veterans Charities Ratings

Sorry guys, looks like this info is from 2005-06.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, not too many high ratings there.

I have been a fan of our local VFW and American Legion posts. I used to be in the funeral business and they had a dedicated core group who would stand as honor guards at Veteran's funerals.

Unfortunatley, those guys are passing away themselves and (I'm not knocking the younger guys) but it seems the younger veterans might not be taking their place.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump.

Lone Survivor Foundation is my choice for this year.

·
Registered
163 Posts
W
WP is a rich organization, see how much the boss makes, turned me off.

I support my local organizations: VFW, Legion, AMVETS and no one else. The bartender and BINGO caller are the only paid members.

Not only with money, but time. Clean up days, fund raisers, we have a cool car show on Veterans Day at our local VA hospital.

We used to do send-offs for service men and women going off to war, and welcome home when the come back. That means a lot and costs virtually nothing.

Sometime old vets have a need for a hand up, like a ride to a job interview, or help filling out VA paperwork and such. We can help in lots of ways not related to donating money to organizations that flood the tv networks with celebrity tear jerker commercials.

Sorry, touchy subject.

Greg Noller, SGM, USA (Ret).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts