Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure what goin on here ... when i go to start my bike (95 heritage 80evo/5speed) the starter spins but if i (in gear) pull clutch in rock forward and let go of clutch then grab clutch it will start ...Harley dealer says its the " starter clutch"

also when id does start the bike kind of moves forward like it kind of in gear ... any idea??

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Sounds like your starter clutch is getting ready to crap out.

If you google starter clutch, you'll learn more than you'll ever care to know.

The starter clutch is connected to the clutch (on some bikes) which explains to me why messing with your clutch lever may nudge the starter clutch enough to get it to hook up. This will only work until it wears a bit more. Sounds like it doesn't have much grab left in it.

I'm not a wrench, so please just take this as my best guess.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Rocking the bike back and forth has nothing to do with the starter clutch problem, it is just a coincidence that the bike started after you did this.

The starter is only connected to the ring gear on the clutch while the start button is depressed.

The reason the bike tries to creep forward is because the clutch is dragging and needs to be adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
If the gear on your clutch basket is worn as was the case with my 97 Heritage, them moving the bike will rotate the gear and perhaps set you on better teeth. I thought my starter was bad and I had to pull the primary cover off to remove the starter and found the teeth worn badly. In fact the oil from the primary was a grey sludge when I went to drain it. There was a broken tooth on the actual starter gear that may have been the original issue.

The Dealer wanted to replace the entire clutch basket but that isn't needed. I took the opportunity to increase the gear ratio and had a new gear riveted on to the clutch basket and just replaced that and of course upped the gear on the starter. It starts significantly better now.

Plus, follow Chief's advice to learn more and Dan's advice about adjusting the clutch. That way if you go to a mech you can see through any BS.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If the gear on your clutch basket is worn as was the case with my 97 Heritage, them moving the bike will rotate the gear and perhaps set you on better teeth.
The symptoms certainly make it sound like a ring gear problem.

I would remove the outer primary cover and inspect before riding, you don`t want to risk doing any more damage.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
My gear head friend guided me through the entire process so instead of trying to remember his explaination I searched for imput written far more eloquently (ok, more important accurately)

which starter ring gear

I hope I can post that link. The above link is a collection of information that sounds similar to what you have dealt with. I am sure there might be more reading that you care to do but it also lists vendors and tips that will help you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So my wrench stopped by and seen my chain says it needs replacing the tentioner is all the way tight and still has alot if play is that bad lol

would the coupling being back wrds be the reason it was whining ?
im buyin a new chain ... should i buy a no "tention shoe" any should i buy a new stater bushing ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts