Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is jason,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello! Also, i just want to add that i am not a harley owner yet but i am looking forward to the day i finally own one! I have been searching on craigslist and a bunch of different sources and it has become apparent to me that the type of bike i want might be pretty hard to find when you factor in my $3500 max budget lol.

I am about 6 feet tall, about 205 pounds. I have a question for you guys if you wouldnt mind. I found a bike, 1988 1200cc custom sportster. It is a beautiful bike!!! However, i am somewhat skeptical. The owner says he will come down to 3k on the bike, i might even try to get him to come down to 2600-2700. Now, why i am skepticle, he claims the bike only has 2000 miles on it. I have read claims about how odometors, especially on the old bikes, can be tampered with. Does this seam realistic? I have found a couple 1200cc sportsters that i might be able to get for like 3600-3700 that are 2003-2002. However, this older bike just looks cooler. Its a black bike with full chrome and looks great. I guess, i am also worried just about how old this bike is. Isnt a 1988 also a little old? And would the claimed miles on the bike make you skepticle? any help would be appreciated guys. thank you!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what the bike looks like

Attachments

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Ask to see the title. It will let you know if there are actually 2k miles on it or not. I personally don't believe it because a 20+ year old bike with only 2k miles would be spitting oil out of every nook. Those old gaskets would have dried out by now.

-Rohan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Rohan, I agree with you. Seems to good to be true...

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you ask me, who cares how many miles are on it? If the bike is mechanically sound, miles do not matter. In my opinion a sportster will be worth 3500 bucks now and it will be worth 3500 in 10 years. Just make sure you really look the bike over well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dborbone,

I am not mechanically inclined, so if i do go look at the bike i will have a friend come along to check it out. I am think i should probably get it checked out by a mechanic too then?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts