Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the rear tire on my 1990 FLHTCU, used alinement tool from swingarm shaft center to axel center. With bike on the ground set the belt tension to 3/8. Torqued axel to 63 ft/lb. Lifted rear off ground rotated wheel in drive direction looks good, but when I rotate the wheel in reverse the belt runs toward the tranny on the tranny pully. Is that normal or is something else wrong??

·
Try'n to behave
5,775 Posts
Maybe I am reading too much into it, because I am not 100% clear on what you are asking.

If you mean that the belt turns with the wheel when spinning it in reverse, yes that is normal. The belt is going to turn with the wheel because of the teeth on the belt and wheel pulley. With the trans in neutral, it will free spin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the tranny pully should turn, but should the belt move on that pully towards the center of the bike when rotated in reverse?

·
Just Ride
3,154 Posts
Normal. How often and how far do you push your bike backwards?

·
Retired citizen
23,108 Posts
The belt will normally run to the inside of the pulleys when rotating the wheel backwards. That happens with the wheel off the ground or if the rider is on the bike rolling backwards. Most of the time the belt makes a ratcheting noise when rolling backwards too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, this is my first bike with a belt, wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong Thanks again

·
Retired citizen
23,108 Posts
FYI if properly maintained the Harley belt drives will go way further than 100,000 miles.
For the most part I only have had to replace Harley drive belts if something else causes them to break.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts