Harley Davidson Forums banner

Finally Getting Ready to Upgrade my 80" Evo

15K views 131 replies 13 participants last post by  Alan S 
#1 ·
First, I gotta talk to this indy guy I trust and find out what's wrong with my bike as it is, and then I gotta ask him if I just bring everything to him, if he will assemble it all for me and retune it. I already have several new Dynojet jets for CV carb and the SE air cleaner (updated 1993-1999 version) and V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe.

So, I plan to go with Hillside for their Evo Stage II headwork + compression release ports drilled, and jugs and stuff (pistons, I think last year talked about also them setting piston rings and matching to the jugs or something). I gotta call them about which cam to go with. I already know I'm going 10:1 piston heads, but unsure between Woods 6H, Woods 8 or Woods 9 cam (I have read a few times that the 6H requires shaving the case a little for fitment, dunno if that's true). Probably a Dyna 2000i ignition system (ignition + coil). But that's only after my indy finds out what's currently wrong with it and if he will reassemble it for me once I get in the upgrades.

After those decisions made, I gotta call Baker and see what they think for a 6 speed transmission (direct vs over drive, ratio for first gear).

The whole thing for me is acceleration, and that's the quick and dirty of it. Yeah, I know I need to up the starter, already got a Baker high-torque IPB and upgraded clutch (kevlar extra plate + 25% stronger heavy duty spring in stock clutch basket). Plus, it's my everything bike (99% daily backroad and around town riding, only light touring).

And yeah, I know I could throw the amount of money I will be spending on it for this toward an used, up-graded TC, but I don't want a TC. Nothing against TC's, but they don't get me rock hard like Evos, and this bike is one I will never get rid of, I will be buried with it.

Anyway, there's a few things I still need to figure out. First... and sorry, my knowledge in regards to engine/engine work is a little on the low side, I only know enough to get into trouble, but:
• What pushrods for such a setup, are the Andrews Chromoly still the way to go?
• Whats the best set of lifters for this?
• Upgrading the rockers... with what?
• Machining required to fit any of those cams and what's the difference between them as far as feel and real power when at 10:1 compression (W6H vs W8 vs W9)?
• Is there anything else I am forgetting?

It's gonna be a screamer, when I want it to be (in a safe environment, obviously).

See less See more
#132 ·
You're making this harder than it is.

The tach shown has a hot (+), ground (-), ignition (pulse from the 2k), and the light.

You know where the wire from the ignition is. The hot side of the coil will give you the keyed hot. Ground can go just about anywhere on the frame.

The light on your bike I don't know. But if all else fails, hook it up full time with the hot on the coil, too

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sardonicus87
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.