Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick check on the tires this afternoon, and after 22K on front and rear (stock Dunnies) I am just in the green on the official Harley Tire Gauge. Normally, I'd keep riding on them, but I have a trip to Texas starting next week, and will probably end up with close to 2K more on them by the time I get back to the house. Looking at both tires, they look fine, but I am contemplating swapping them out and doing a brake job front and rear and replacing wheel bearings....closing in on 50K on the bike. Brakes are getting close but still good, and no bearing problem except 50K of some hard riding. I'm thinking better safe than sorry.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,290 Posts
I have switched over to the Dunlop Elites. They work verywell tire wear is exceptional compared to the 401/402. Changing the wheel bearings is a good idea. The front right side bearing is not a very good design or quality.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
You will enjoy the trip more knowing those items are new.

·
Registered
11,787 Posts
Kd, you seem to get good life from the OEM Dunlops. I got 14,xxx from my rear--would have gone a bit longer but had a slow leak so just went ahead and replaced it while it was off the wheel. My front went 20K and would have gone some more but was starting to cup some and had it replaced at the 20K service. Replaced both OEM Dunlops with the Dunlop Elites--my indy swears I will see much better mileage from the Elites.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, the cupping is starting to become an issue. The tires started to sing a bit, and although I know they would make the trip without a major failure, I'd definitely, as Pete says, feel better making the change. I had a few chats with the head wrench at the local shop about the bearings. He agrees that 50K is a sensible time to change them even though I am not NOW having a problem. Since both wheels will be off anyway, that part of the labor is a wash. And the brakes are as old as the tires and about ready....3 days in those hills will probably make the brakes a need to issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts