Harley Davidson Forums banner

Finally! Started on the 120R install

10K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  jdmccla 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I got all the intake side torn down, the primary cover off as well as the starter...

Attachments

#3 ·
Went to break the compensator off and was surprised to find it hand tight.:eek

Attachments

#4 ·
Also took out the battery and ECM. I have to install the ACR harness as this bike came without them and they need to come out to do this.

One other thing I found that really pisses me off.:mad When taking the exhaust off, I noticed that the bracket that bolts to the bottom transmission holes had no bolts in them. The pipe was bolted to the bracket but the bracket was not fixed to the bike.

This is the same dealer that used superglue instead of Locktite on my brake discs.:spank:

Ever since they installed the old exhaust, there has always been a drop or three of oil under the bike when I got back from being gone at work.

Good thing they went out of business. If not, there would probably be a tech in the hospital having an exhaust bracket surgically removed.:laugh

#8 ·
And here is the obligitory ¨Sh*t scattered all over the garage¨ pic.:)

Attachments

#10 ·
:nodOK. Day two:
Got the inner primary off and it´s ¨out with the old¨:rollin

The next photo is up until now, the closest the 120R has been to it´s new home.
You can also see ¨Old Faithful¨ in the background. She is awaiting her new home in a 1992 FL Trike.

Attachments

#11 ·
:rollinAn hour or so later and She´s in!:bowrofl:

Put the stator in and bolted up the inner primary. I was then I opened up my new SE compensator and the one of the first thig listed was to install the new stator cover.
Anyway, off came the inner primary.

Attachments

#12 ·
I got all the engine mounts torqued and the inner primary installed (Again!)
Started to think about what clutch setup I was going to run. The current clutch has a heavier SE spring in it. I thought this might work OK with the VP clutch that I have.
Then, while reading thru the instructions, I realized that my future ex-wife had misplaced the wear ring and bolts for the VPC!:cussing

Attachments

#13 ·
So...
It looks like I will be installing the SE clutch. Tomorrow I need to find someone or someway to press the bearings off of the old clutch.

Other than that, I corresponded with Jaime of Fuel Moto today. They have no map for a 120R.
Contacted DynoJet and they are looking for something to get me started.
Kind of disappointed because I wanted to use the wide band autotune and my new V&H pipe only has the bungs for the narrow band sensors.:dunno
Other than that, everything today went great.

PS: Twin Cam motors are pretty heavy for a one person lift.:laugh

Tomorrow: Press off the clutch bearings, install the high flow injectors and hopefully the 2 into 1 Pro Pipe. If I get the new map, this thing could be alive.:hero

#14 ·
This is very interesting. I mean how did you keep your floor so clean?:think Just kidding. This is very cool to see. Thanks for the posts.

#15 ·
This is very interesting. I mean how did you keep your floor so clean?:think
Not so clean. I still have a huge pile of stuff to put back on.:laugh

Attachments

#19 ·
My garage is my kingdom.:nod

My wife and daughter know that there will be major hell to pay if my kingdom is voilated.:spank:

#22 ·
OK, Here we go with todays progress...

Today, I almost tossed my cellphone against the wall. I use it to listen to music. It´s hooked up via bluetooth to a little Bose speaker. Anyway, the Bluetooth connection kept breaking. Every five minutes I would have to get up, reset the speaker and reconnect.:cussing
I finall got by this by hooking the phone up direct.
Got tunes! Life is goodQ:)

Lets see. Where were we? Oh yeah, the bike.

Anyway, this morning I took the clutch & hub over to a buddies shop to get it pressed off and the new SE clutch pressed on.
It took them all of about 5 minutes. They only had to place it in the press and Viola! it was off. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have just hit it with a rubber mallet and it would have freed up. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

I got back home and proceeded to install the clutch plates and spacers. I had it all installed on the workbench and then realized that with the S.E. pressure plate installed on the clutch, there was no center hole to bolt the clutch back on the bike.:think

I put the compensator, chain and clutch back on the bike only to realize that I couldnt tighten the clutch basket on to the bike.:whoa

I ended up taking the old pressure plate and bolted it up with some washers in order to lock the clutch up enough to torque the bolt.

The SE instructions leave a little bit to be desired. They kept referencing the service manual. And the information in the manual does not correspond with the SE particular parts.

In the end, I got everything installed and the clutch adjusted for 105 ft/lbs.

Attachments

#23 ·
After adjusting the clutch, I can say that the pull is HARD!
I´m gonna definately have to eat my Wheaties to ride this thing.:laugh
Got all the primary side put together and all filled up:

Attachments

#24 ·
After that, worked on the new 58mm throttle body and high flow injectors.
Got the injectors and sensor installed.
This will be where I start tomorrow.

Attachments

#26 ·
Old motor is sold and going into a Buds early 90´s FL that he is going to trike out.

I really didn´t want to sell it as I thought I would keep it around if anything happened to the 120R.

But, the more I read about them, the more I see that they are relatively trouble free. (insert crossed fingers smilie here):know

#28 ·
Today...

Day three. (or is that 4?) Not important.

Today I got the injectors and throttle body mounted, installed the starter and the harness for the ACR´s.
What a PITA it waas to install the ACR harness. I had to take out and move wires around in both the fusebox and the Molex connector to the ECM.
I hate working on the electrical connectors on a Harley.:mad

The good news is that I didn´t break any wires or connectors.:nod

On the other side, I got the SE HeaVY Breather AC installed with the short filter. This is the filter that is supposed to clear the fairing lowers.

Attachments

#29 ·
I also got the new MAP from DynoJet!:hero

Gotta give them (Patrick) a heads up for service.

After I got the map, I still was concerned about the ACR´s being programmed or not. On my old 103, there were no ACR´s and the last time I loaded a MAP, I had to take it to HD to get them turned off with the Digital Tech.

I was hoping that wasn´t the case this time as my nearest HD dealer is a half days drive away.

I tried calling DynoJet and Fuel Moto this afternoon and couldn´t get thru on the phone to either one of them. Thats what I get for waiting until Friday afternoon.:banghead

I then figured ¨what the heck¨and sent an e-mail to DynoJet. I got an answer back within 30 minutes.:nod

Turns out, there is a newer feature on the PV that enables you to do this.:rollin
Patrick explained how to verify the software was up to date and how to activate the feature.:)

Tomorrow, The new V&H Pro Pipe installation. I also have to get an allen wrench to remove the old oil cooler mount to put on the new engine.
Anybody know what size allen? 3/8¨ is too small and 1/2¨ too big. I havent been able to find A 7/16¨ Allen wrench.:bluduh

#34 ·
Bingo! Automatic Compression Release.:know

Well Boys and Girls, today was pretty much a wash.
I did manage to find a 7/16 allen socket so the oil filter boss will be taken care of.
Swepped and mopped the garage floor.
Played around with putting the heat shields on the V&H Pro Pipe.
Then, went over to a Buds house to help him work on his BMW.:laugh
Oh yeah. Did I remember to mention that my Bud not only took advantage of my torque wrench but made me bring the beer.:laugh
Tomorrow I'm riding.
Stay tuned till Monday...:laugh

#36 ·
Update! It's ALIVE!!!!

Well I got it running today.
Flashed the new map and activated the ACR's with the Power Vision.
It sounds really sweet! The new V&H pipe rocks!

Started it up in the garage and heat cycled the engine a couple of times.
Ventured out from the house and rode around the neighborhood a little.
The SE Race Clutch and HD compensator is the schitz! Step on the shifter and it goes in gear. No clunking whatsoever.
It did quit a couple of times when I was riding it. Got back to the garage and checked the codes. It's showing a MAP sensor code.
Anybody got any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.