Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 300 miles on my new WG, and since new, neutral has been nearly impossible to find, engine on or off. The bike shifts great but neutral is elusive, and this is not a problem I normally have on other bikes.

The salesman told me that's normal for new bikes, and as the trans breaks in it will get easier to find. Is this true, or was he just talking :cowdung

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
I've got about 300 miles on my new WG, and since new, neutral has been nearly impossible to find, engine on or off. The bike shifts great but neutral is elusive, and this is not a problem I normally have on other bikes.

The salesman told me that's normal for new bikes, and as the trans breaks in it will get easier to find. Is this true, or was he just talking :cowdung
At the start it was the same with my Street Bob 2008. After few months it was all OK. Nothing to be concerne ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'll get it. Combination of break in and getting the knack for it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Same here, my new-to-me Fat Boy which has a little over 2K miles, is now beginning to loosen up and slip into neutral a lot easier.
All my new bikes have been like that. It's the nature of the beast.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Never had a problem since day one.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Couldn't sleep last night so I got my novel out to read. ( Harley repair manual ). The wife just shakes her head at my choice of novels to read. it says if u have primary too full it could be hard to find nutrual

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. 400 miles on the bike now it seems to be getting less fussy. I will check the primary, thanks!

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
It's effed. Set it on fire and claim insurance.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I find that using my toe under the toe shifter lifting from 1st to N works better. If all you have is a toe shifter then disregard this advice.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
I find that using my toe under the toe shifter lifting from 1st to N works better. If all you have is a toe shifter then disregard this advice.

Yup. That's where neutral is.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I find tapping down to first (if I'm not already there) then pull up to second, then tap down into neutral. (Yes, this is an extra step). I also put it into neutral each time I stop to park.

Doc

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Most times this problem is just a matter of being new and the fact that the clutch adjustment is almost never correct when brand new. Adjust the clutch,( see factory service manual). Bet that cures your problem.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Most times this problem is just a matter of being new and the fact that the clutch adjustment is almost never correct when brand new. Adjust the clutch,( see factory service manual). Bet that cures your problem.
This ^^

The clutch on a new bike has more rapid breaking in changes than the transmission, due to the friction plates wearing in and the cable stretching and seating in. It may require several touchup adjustments in the first 500-1,000 miles. Then when the break-in primary fluid is changed, everything should settle in nicely.

--

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the replies, it is softening up. I've got about 1,100 miles on the bike now so I'll check out the clutch adjustment this week when I do the 1k service. Appreciate the tips.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's true that neutral will get easier to find as the transmission wears in and the internal parts get to know each other. It takes the right combination of technique and clutch adjustment too. For now, focus on finding neutral while the bike is still rolling. On some bikes, it remains difficult. I had a 2000 Road King on which it was very difficult to find neutral, my '96 Dyna clicks right in. Go figure.

Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Started slipping right into neutral on my Dyna after a fluid change. Drained the factory glop and replaced with Bel Ray trans fluid. Started shifting a lot quieter too.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
We spend 15-40K on new HD and trans has issues with going into neutral? Not right I say, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To all of those who said a fluid change and clutch adjustment would make worlds of difference, thank, you were correct. I did my 1k service today and adjusted the clutch. Night and day difference. Also, it shifts butter smooth now and not clunk/bang like it did previously. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts