Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new rider from Ontario Canada. Just bought my first bike ever and sitting on it in the showroom was the first time sitting on a motorcycle. All at the ripe old age of 42!
Bought an 18 Sport Glide, I know it's not a beginner bike but I didn't want to have to keep trading up every 6-12 months. Of course, after we bought it but before it was delivered our province went into lockdown and my rider training course was canceled and they aren't back up and running until the end of May (I'm re-booked for beginning of June). So I only have my M1 (beginners) and no one will insure me so I can't even get it licensed or plated. So it's just slow trips around the block for me for awhile. I've put about 500km (about 300miles) in about 2 weeks on those round trips though...haha. looking forward to this new experience.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Hand in there, June is just around the corner.

Reactions: SPGL18

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Welcome to the world of HD and to the forum!
The good news is: 300+ miles of running around the block, pretty much guarantees that you have a good start on slow speed handling! That's honestly a good thing! Keep practicing on just how slow you can go, while keeping your feet on the boards. (this is known as the slow race) It's extremely helpful skill to possess when your caught up in congested traffic and in parking lots. Concentrate on keeping your nose pointed towards where you want to go, all the while keeping your head up. Looking down in front of the bike is a bad habit that's hard to brake!

Here is a good place to learn the good habits before you get to the class: www.mcrider.com/newrider We all were new at this game at one time or three! Have fun, Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the world of HD and to the forum!
The good news is: 300+ miles of running around the block, pretty much guarantees that you have a good start on slow speed handling! That's honestly a good thing! Keep practicing on just how slow you can go, while keeping your feet on the boards. (this is known as the slow race) It's extremely helpful skill to possess when your caught up in congested traffic and in parking lots. Concentrate on keeping your nose pointed towards where you want to go, all the while keeping your head up. Looking down in front of the bike is a bad habit that's hard to brake!

Here is a good place to learn the good habits before you get to the class: www.mcrider.com/newrider We all were new at this game at one time or three! Have fun, Ride Safe!
Thanks, I do go to a dead-end down the street and practice turns everything I go out. Thanks for the link as well, Kevin has some great tips and I already see some of the mistakes I make.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome from Minnesota!

Reactions: SPGL18
1 - 8 of 8 Posts