Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have been without a bike for about 6yrs now, dad borrowed my kawi and had a bad spill on it, almost lost him. I never replaced the bike and for the first time i was without. About a year and half ago he called me up, he and his buddy clean out storages when they are behind or abandoned instead of selling the contents cause they are two old nosey farts and wanna go thru the stuff themselves, btw his buddy owns a couple of big storage places, anyway he said he found a harley in one, a sportster and he is gonna bring it home with him and i could come over and get it. Well the next night me and the old lady went to see it, never had a harley and didn't know what i was looking at but a nasty filthy bike that you couldn't touch or your hand stuck to it. He said it had been in storage for about 5yrs and maybe i could clean it up and get it running and make a few bucks selling it. I made it my project for a year, kept adding stuff and adding stuff lol I replaced all the fluids, fork seals, springs, rebuilt calipers ect, just went thru the bike. When we put a battery on it and turned on the key i saw it had 8500 miles on it, not bad for a 2002. It turned out to be a 1200c, well after doing alot to it, not gonna mention every little detail lol i rolled it outside and it fired right up, then i made the mistake of riding it, hooked. I have put 2000 miles on it since with no problems till a few days ago, took off from a stoplight and got up to second gear then the engine revved but no power to rear wheels, damn. Trailered it home, called local bike shop and they gave me a dooms day reading, nut and sprocket must have come off and tore it all up. I removed the primary cover this morning only to discover everything in it's right place just like all the pics i could pull up from the net. hhhhmmmmm the only thing i can thing of is the clutch plates, when draining the oil from primary it had black grit, i changed it twice since i got it, any other ideas ?

Attachments

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Very cool story!!!

I'd be checking clutch plate wear and adjustment to start......

·
Texas Patriot
45 Posts
Awesome story and sweet bike! Im not mechanically inclined like a lot of the guys on this forum, so I'll let them answer your question lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how would I check the clutch for wear ? take it off and apart ? new territory to me lol and harley's are a little different from all the rice burners i have had. I have a service manual but it's not always thorough, any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum from N.Y.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
Welcome from Iowa , don't know much about Sportsters , maybe try that section if you don't get an answer here .

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
how would I check the clutch for wear ? take it off and apart ? new territory to me lol and harley's are a little different from all the rice burners i have had. I have a service manual but it's not always thorough, any advice would be greatly appreciated
Is it a Harley manual or a Chilton or Haynes? If you don't have the Harley service manual, I'd recommend it.

Take the clutch disks out and measure them with calipers, make sure they are still in spec.
I would suspect that with only 10k miles on it, that they would be.

That bike cleaned up pretty nice. :thumb

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in deep east Texas, Lufkin. I am gonna take the clutch off next, i am a clean freak and had to clean everything i took off lol, the oil does have a rotten smell to it. One old Harley rider by me suggested that since it sat in storage untouched for so long that maybe the friction material on the clutch plates came unglued, before i took the case off i could pull on the clutch lever and it felt normal. One thing i probably didn't mention is when i pulled over and tried taking off again it would want to slightly go at idle but anything about idle the primary chain just spun around. Gonna take off the clutch this weekend, hopefully that will tell the tale. I am slightly mechanically inclined but this part is all new to me, reading, looking at pics and vids before i tackle it and yes i have a harley manual

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes ! we riders had better stick together if we are to keep our freedoms, nice to be in the brotherhood

1 - 20 of 29 Posts