Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has just switched from a BMW G650GS to a 2011 883 super low with 2600km. Gorgeous machine.

While at the dealer I of course start looking..... just drawn to the ultra limited. My motorcycle history is long and varied. Turning 50 this year and it seems change is afoot....but dualsport will remain a constant.

My current stable is a trials bike, 350 KTM dualsport, KTM 950 adventure, and a BMW K1300GT. My arthritic worn out knees and such have inspired me to sell the trials bike, 950 and BMW and look to the HD for the touring I do around the western provinces when the snow is gone.

The dealer has a 2015 ultra limited (20k km) and a new 2019. Both in black. The bike feels so good and fits so well. I’ve rented one in Maui a few years back but that was probably 7 years ago.

Decision likely to be made in the next couple days.....looking forward to the new groove.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. If it were me I would be trying to drive the hardest bargain I could on the slightly used 2015 you are considering.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Greetings from Minnesota! I love my 2016 Ultra Limited and only wish I would have purchased it years earlier. I was 48 at the time. My wife rides a 2016 Forty-Eight. We have Sena Communication/Intercom systems mounted in our half-helmets and it's nice to be able to communicate/talk while riding, not to mention the safety aspect of being able to talk to one another. Welcome and Good Luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome from Virginia, I have a 19 Ultra and a 95 Road King. I will have to say taking a long trip on the Ultra is the way to go. Like said above, I wish I had done the Ultra years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from Kentucky. If it were me I would be trying to drive the hardest bargain I could on the slightly used 2015 you are considering.
You’re the second person who’s given that advice! Definitely leaning that way - it has the stage 1 changes and highway powers as well.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
You’re the second person who’s given that advice! Definitely leaning that way - it has the stage 1 changes and highway powers as well.
And I don't want to ruffle no feathers of all those who are happy with their (so far) trouble free M8 motors that came out in 2017 but if you buy the 2015 with the 103 motor and Stage 1 you will never suffer any of the problems a lot of folks have had with their M8.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My wife has just switched from a BMW G650GS to a 2011 883 super low with 2600km. Gorgeous machine.

While at the dealer I of course start looking..... just drawn to the ultra limited. My motorcycle history is long and varied. Turning 50 this year and it seems change is afoot....but dualsport will remain a constant.

My current stable is a trials bike, 350 KTM dualsport, KTM 950 adventure, and a BMW K1300GT. My arthritic worn out knees and such have inspired me to sell the trials bike, 950 and BMW and look to the HD for the touring I do around the western provinces when the snow is gone.

The dealer has a 2015 ultra limited (20k km) and a new 2019. Both in black. The bike feels so good and fits so well. I’ve rented one in Maui a few years back but that was probably 7 years ago.

Decision likely to be made in the next couple days.....looking forward to the new groove.
I just have to 3rd up on the "Wish i got it years earlier".. My wife bought me a 2014 Ultra for my 61st B.D. last year.. They are amazing machines... Welcome to the world of H.D. Btw: She just got her 1200 Sportster Custom on NY Eve, She's loving it!..

·
weird member
1,937 Posts
Congrats on the new bikes and welcome.

And hey, if you're a dualsport fan, sometime mid-year this year, Harley is sending their new ADV to dealerships, the Pan-American, you know, if you decide you want to keep it all in the family. Might be worth checking out at least, and I know I'd like to hear opinions on it from people with enduro/dualsport/ADV experience. I'd love an ADV myself for camping trips but, money's not in the cards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yah I’m looking forward to seeing it. The local dealer (Barnes) I hope is going to bring it out to an event we run every year called the LooseScrew (Kamloops, BC). I just traded in my KTM 950Adv and my wife’s BMW G650GS for our Harleys. DualSport and ADV ranges all the way from hard core enduro (I have a KTM 350 setup for this) to the forest service road cruising end of the spectrum. The 950 ADV was a heavy dirt bike that was incredibly capable - taking big air, crossing large and suspended logs, what we call ‘A‘ trails. But a 550lb Dirtbike comes with some challenges.

Looks to me like the PA HD is going to be on the road side of the BMWGSA. The GS is probably the widest ranging bike in the spectrum able to tackle some pretty gnarly single track in the right hands, but mostly made for service roads and pavement. I suspect the Harley is going to be capable on road, service roads, and possibly two track / Jeep trails, but we’ll see....suspension tells the tale.

·
weird member
1,937 Posts
Well, the whole point of an ADV is to be a more road friendly version of a dualsport, isn't it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the whole point of an ADV is to be a more road friendly version of a dualsport, isn't it?
Yes I’d say so but of late the Adv bikes are getting to be a pretty wide range themselves. Smaller (700-900cc) more offroad oriented and then larger with long distance road manners.

Road manners and comfort I think is what makes the bike a keeper long term. After awhile single and double track on a big beast gets tiresome and dangerous.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts